Facebook Ads - Blocking

Post any interesting custom filters here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Facebook Ads - Blocking

Postby ybnice » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 am

Hi Murray and Jeff,

I have been a user and a HUGE advocate of Ad Muncher for many years - luv it. I own 4 Licenses - 2 Lifetime and 2 to v5. I know this has been discussed before but am currently contemplating on getting a 5th Lifetime License for my Hubby's Laptop whilst it is half price on your Facebook page but want to know if v5 is going to block Facebook Ads. I only have one issue with Ad Muncher currently and it is the horrid Ads in Facebook using IE 9/10. I know that "other" 3rd party Blocker works sorta on Firefox and Google Chrome but I like IE 9/10.

In IE 9/10, the past number of days I have been trying all sorts of ways in blocking/hiding the Ads in many Facebook Games (top and bottom ticker bar) and the Ads on right-hand side on all Facebook pages. Below is what I had done and it is working very well with Ad Muncher enabled:-

I installed Microsoft's IE Gallery "EasyList" and "EasyPrivacy" from here
Code: Select all
http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists
These 2 Enabled in IE 9/10 <<Manage add-ons<<Tracking Protection got rid of the top and bottom ticker bar in Facebook Games . Next; I wanted to delete/hide the Ads on right hand side in Facebook. I did this by opening a Text document and putting in
Code: Select all
#pagelet_side_ads, #pagelet_ego_pane_w, div.ego_unit_container { display: none !important; }
rename and save it as "FacebookAdContent.css" and place it in "Local Disk (C:)". Next, In IE 9/10, go to <<Internet options<<General<<Accessibility (bottom right)<<User style sheet<<check the box "Format documents using my stylesheet"<<Browse...<<Locate and select the "FacebookAdContent.css" file you saved in Local Disk (C:)<<Open<<OK<<OK.

Instead of adding CSS to Internet options, is there a way I can add the above CSS in "My filters" in Ad Muncher - I cannot seem to get it to work within Ad Muncher. I know it is a bit sad - I am a retired female and have not much of a life and luv my few Facebook Games.

Many thanks Murray or Jeff for any input or help re the above.
ybnice
Wiz

Re: Facebook Ads - Blocking

Postby broman.martin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:23 am

This is something many of us wants, and has been discussed a few times before and the reason in the past for not being implemented is because it would break the page in some obscure way. I do hope that it will be a feature in the future! I use a third party plugin for chrome to remove it, which I do not like that much, but it is the lesser of three evils as I see it.

Though I never play anything on facebook, or hardly ever anywhere, I do hope they will fix it, or come with a suggestion that might work for most of the users without breaking pages.
broman.martin
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Any user can just add that CSS to their own custom filter list.

Add CSS to all pages:
#pagelet_side_ads, #pagelet_ego_pane_w, div.ego_unit_container {display:none !important;}

no need for proprietary browser stuff.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby ybnice » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:44 am

Thanks muchly Jeff for reply. But the same CSS code, as I mentioned above, does not work when adding it in to My filers in Ad Muncher, it will only work when adding it in to IE<<Accessibility. Also in the upcoming v5 is there going to be added more blocking of Ads in Facebook? Many thanks again.
Last edited by ybnice on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ybnice
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:50 pm

If it doesn't work with Ad Muncher then Ad Muncher isn't filtering that page.

you can check this by trying to activate the Ad Muncher toolbar.

if the toolbar doesn't appear then that's why it's not working.

one of two things can cause this now. https and gzip.

both should be dealt with in v5.x
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby ybnice » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks Jeff for your reply. No the Toolbar does not appear. I will wait for v5 - on my way now to get another Lifetime License. :D
ybnice
Wiz

Postby hotlips69 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 am

The "Suggested Post" thing that is getting on my nerves on Facebook...this is simply random posts that appear in my news feed that I don't want to see!

Is there a custom filter I can add that blocks/removes anything on Facebook that starts with "Suggested Post" ?
hotlips69
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:51 am

I'm not familiar enough with facebook to know what this is.

I can't find it in my dummy account.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Return to Custom Filters