Chrome Smooth Gestures extension ad - How to remove?

Post any interesting custom filters here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Postby buralex » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Using Ad Muncher v4.94.34121/5550 (Free)\
Chrome extension "Smooth gestures" appears to insert a one-line ad at bottom of almost all pages. See http://screencast.com/t/N8UgCHBbf showing the ad and the Inspect Element view of it.

It appears that in addition to inserting the ad itself o.yieldsquare.com is detecting the use of Ad Muncher and changing the one=line ad into a larger block.

I tried to use a "Remove div/spans with text" for either yieldsquare (in the div id: <div id="yieldsquare-ad" or the text itself "This ad is supporting your extension". Neither worked but it's my first attempted filter :-)

My guess is that the Smooth Gestures extension (with the assistance of yieldsquare.com) is inserting its stuff *AFTER* Ad Muncher has had its look at the incoming HTML.
Does this make sense? Any way to defeat it with Ad Muncher? Maybe an entry in the HOSTS file (not tried yet - I haven't messed with HOSTS file at all yet, just read about it).

Just for reference here's what I think is the relevant HTML (in this case its from an IMDB-page saved using web-complete). When I try to use Find from the Chrome View Page source this does not show up at all?
Code: Select all
<div id="yieldsquare-about-ad">This ad is supporting your extension Smooth Gestures<a id="yieldsquare-disable-ad" href="http://www.smoothgestures.com/donate" data-ytta-id="-">Turn off these ads?</a></div>
buralex
New User

Re: Chrome Smooth Gestures extension ad - How to remove?

Postby buralex » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:18 pm

After some Googling discovered that ad-infested Google chrome extensions is a well known problem.
Simple solution was to install Ghostery extension and block Advertising tracker Yieldsquare.
This appears to work :-)
buralex
New User

Return to Custom Filters