Seattle PI

Report page damage here. Please include your Ad Muncher version and any applicable URLs.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Seattle PI

Postby sibelius » Thu May 27, 2010 6:18 pm

I noticed today I couldn't scroll backwards through my favorite comic on SeattlePI.com to catch up on the weeks' strips. I wondered if the date changer got munched, so I turned it off, and sure enough...

Can this be fixed so it will display normally again? Thanks. The specific page I was looking at is http://www.seattlepi.com/fun/comic.asp? ... _id=Retail

I'm still in the trial period, but I like what I see so far. Ad Block in Firefox was interfering with too many things, such as streaming video from my local news stations as well as from some of the national sites. And trying to figure out what to whitelist and how was impossible. I need something better. I hope Ad Muncher is it.
sibelius
New User

Re: Seattle PI

Postby Jeff » Thu May 27, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm having trouble with that site in firefox.

It should be working fine in Opera, IE and Chrome for the next list update.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby sibelius » Mon May 31, 2010 7:16 pm

If I am looking at things correctly, there was a program update May 15 (probably the date I installed my trial), and an advert update May 29 (two days ago). I use Firefox and Opera, with a smattering of Chrome and Safari as needed - usually for the purpose of navigating multiple email accounts simultaneously - and IE thrown in only when I absolutely have to. The line of graphics directly under the comic that includes the date navigator is still missing. I was hoping I might be able to just add it back in myself. Unfortunately, I can't find code anywhere. Where it should be, there's just a line that says Javascript is disabled. Unfortunately as well, I can't seem to just right-click and look under the hood because of the Java.

And when I told Admuncher to ignore the page, it did...except for that line and a few other spots on the page.

If this is what I'm going to run into, this probably isn't the program to replace Ad Blocker in Firefox for me. This is pretty much what Ad Blocker was doing, but in a different manner, that I was aiming to replace. Except now I'd be paying for the privilege. I've got about two weeks left on my trial, so if I can get this problem worked out I may change my mind That's what trials are for. I hope so.
sibelius
New User

Postby Jeff » Mon May 31, 2010 8:19 pm

This is unrelated to Ad Muncher.

The comic will not appear in firefox on my end even when I close Ad Muncher.

It appears just fine in every other browser.

Did you try another browser?
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby sibelius » Mon May 31, 2010 10:39 pm

Again, I use Firefox and Opera, with a smattering of Chrome and Safari. Meaning, I looked at the page in four (actually five) different browsers today trying to find the missing Java code.

The problem I am encountering is not with the comic graphic itself. The comic always appears in every browser. Only the line of graphic immediately below it is missing. And when I turn off Ad Muncher and reload the page, the line appears. This happens the same way on two different computers, both with a fresh install of Ad Muncher. So I think whatever it is you are seeing is on your end only. Maybe you could try a different computer with a different configuration of Ad Muncher?
sibelius
New User

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:09 am

Maybe I just don't understand what you are seeing.

Could you please take a screenshot of Opera with that page with and without Ad Muncher.

Then well see if I can fix it.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby sibelius » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Oddly enough, when I opened it in Opera today, the graphic was there. I went to every browser I had yesterday and they all looked exactly the same. Today, because I was curious, I looked at all my browsers again. I could see the date navigation graphic in Opera and Chrome, but not in Firefox (or Firefox rendered in IE), Safari, or IE8. That's progress. And it's workable for me since Opera is where I'm headed these days.

But since I'm sure you'd like to see it anyway, and since I still have three browsers that look the same as they all did yesterday, here is a set of screenshots from Safari plus the golden egg from Opera (Opera is first for some reason):
Attachments
Opera w AM.JPG
Notice the line of graphics directly under the comic (manage favorites, email, "today," rating) which are conspicuously missing from the Safari with AM file. They present in the Safari wo AM file because Ad Muncher is turned off.
Opera w AM.JPG (137.98 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Safari wo AM.JPG
Safari wo AM.JPG (169.88 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Safari with AM.JPG
Safari with AM.JPG (157.19 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
sibelius
New User

Return to Page Damage