Firefox and Google not working PROBLEM WITH XULRUNNER 1.9.1

Report any Ad Muncher crashes or odd behavior here. Please include your Ad Muncher version and any applicable URLs.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Firefox and Google not working PROBLEM WITH XULRUNNER 1.9.1

Postby orbidia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:34 am

Just thought I'd let people know about this.

I just loaded Firefox 8.0 final and did a google search. Instead of going to the search page, I was redirected to a page beginning with this:
google.ad.sgdoubleclick.net

and the page would be blank. When I turned off AdMuncher, Google started working again. The redirects were still there but you would end up going to the correct page.

This is not a problem with AdMuncher! Ad Muncher simply makes the redirected page blank because the redirected page is from an advertising server!

This is a redirect virus that installs a Firefox Extension called XULRunner 1.9.1.
Google owns Doubleclick but the redirects to google.ad.sgdoubleclick.net are done by the XULRunner 1.9.1 virus, not Google.
More information is here:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questi ... swer-32112

The advice I used from that page was:
"Finding the ID of this extension is the key to getting rid of it. This isn't directly available from the Extension manager, so go to Help -> Troubleshooting Information. From there the XULRunner extension should be listed with an ID.
Search for this ID in two places: 1) On your file system 2) In your registry
Delete both wherever they appear."
and
"I tried probing the registry and using scanners, but to no luck, there wasn't a trace in the registry nor did Malwarebytes detect anything unusual.
However, I probed even more, and browsed the AppData (Application Data in XP) folders in Windows. I found an entry ({5A3043C5-C1F6-4C2F-B30E-3241A7E69EE3}) in the AppData/Local Folder and it was slightly renamed versions of said files (such as _cfg.js, and overlay.xul). Thus solving my problem."

Virus removal software doesn't seem to find this particular virus so you need to clean it out manually from firefox/registry/file system.

Hopefully this helps someone else who may think Ad Muncher is causing the problem when it is not...
orbidia
New User

Return to Bugs