Remove ToolBar

Report any Ad Muncher crashes or odd behavior here. Please include your Ad Muncher version and any applicable URLs.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Re: Remove ToolBar

Postby phonemes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't dislike the toolbar at all and it doesn't show often for me. I have disabled the 'display a notice' option under popups, perhaps that's why. I am glad that a solotion has been found for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers.
phonemes
Wiz

Postby ulta » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:19 am

I think I understand,

users why be afraid of the toolbar, especially in the ie4, ie5 Era

ulta

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 am

it's not a real toolbar. it's just some HTML and JS. It doesn't take up any permanent space.

left clicking on the page instantly makes the toolbar disappear.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Davebo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:49 pm

That's fine, Jeff, but what the users are asking for is a way to disable it appearing altogether, unless it's called with the key presses. And yes, despite what you think, that IS feedback.

I got this program many years ago to stop annoying popups. Your popup is annoying as well.

By the way, it doesn't appear to activate at all at Google.com. So, there some legitimate feedback for you...
Davebo
Wiz

Postby ulta » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Jeff wrote:it's not a real toolbar. it's just some HTML and JS. It doesn't take up any permanent space.

I am using AdMunch b33053.

I know the real toolbar / HTML_ JS different.

These two Browser toolbar same is POPUP,

users browsing Never like surprises.

People browsing Completely hate this thing POPUP.

old way users Never complained.

AdMunch to develop new features, great!

Clever way is Retain Never complained old features

--------------this's by translate.google.com --------------
ulta

Postby NeddieSeagoon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 am

Jeff,

Unlimited Premium subscriber here. Since it doesn't seem to matter much that we dislike compulsory toolbars and popups (yes, even when they are yours), perhaps you might consider this:

This thing is wreaking havoc with some very useful browser addons that I was using quite happily until the last AdMuncher update. Some of them involve the use of the mouse and Ctrl key. Except now I find that this toolbar is taking over and intercepting all my Ctrl-clicks in a way that I don't want it to.

It is actively interfering with the functionality of my browser. What say you?
NeddieSeagoon
New User

Postby LisaSimpson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 pm

-
Last edited by LisaSimpson on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaSimpson
Wiz

Postby Murray » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks everyone for the great feedback, we appreciate it very much.

To clarify, the toolbar will display itself when the following happens:

- The user holds CTRL or SHIFT and right-clicks.
- A popup has been blocked, in which case it will say how many have been blocked and give the option to open them.
- An alert has been blocked, in which case it will give the option to display the alert message.
- When a page has been excluded from filtering and reloaded, or included and reloaded, to confirm the filtering status.
- When Ad Muncher is first installed it will display on the first three sites to tell the user the activation combination (CTRL or SHIFT + right-click).

The activations on popup/alert blocking can be disabled via the "Options" / "Popups" tab option for "Display a notice when a popup or alert is blocked" (text was different in older betas).

If you object to any of the other activation conditions please let me know which and why so we can address them.

Specific replies:

Zootopia3000: If the toolbar isn't compatible with an older browser it will notify the user once and shouldn't bother you again.

ZombyWoof: Indeed we did consider a notification area popup. This solution is intended to make features available in all browsers and, more importantly, across all platforms. Mobile ones for example :-)

Davebo: Are you loading google.com with HTTPS? If so this would explain the lack of filtering (and toolbar).

NeddieSeagoon and LisaSimpson: Please report any conflicts with other toolbars, plugins or mouse gestures to [email protected] and we will try to resolve them. Please include instructions on how to reproduce the problem.

Again thanks everyone for taking the time to provide feedback. At this point we'd like to resolve any problems where possible instead of just having users turn off the toolbar, but we'll always listen to our users and an option to disable it will be included in an upcoming beta.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby ZombyWoof » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:06 am

Murray wrote:Thanks everyone for the great feedback, we appreciate it very much.

To clarify, the toolbar will display itself when the following happens:

- The user holds CTRL or SHIFT and right-clicks.
- A popup has been blocked, in which case it will say how many have been blocked and give the option to open them.
- An alert has been blocked, in which case it will give the option to display the alert message.
- When a page has been excluded from filtering and reloaded, or included and reloaded, to confirm the filtering status.
- When Ad Muncher is first installed it will display on the first three sites to tell the user the activation combination (CTRL or SHIFT + right-click).

The activations on popup/alert blocking can be disabled via the "Options" / "Popups" tab option for "Display a notice when a popup or alert is blocked" (text was different in older betas).

If you object to any of the other activation conditions please let me know which and why so we can address them.

I've emphasized the item in bold for clarification.

The wording on my menu is: "Display a notice in the browswer status and title bars when a popup or alert is blocked". As I understand this, if I leave it unchecked, I should not be getting a popup down toolbar when I encounter a popup? However, I still do, on certain sites, and it is also random afaict. I can't produce it, and if I turn off Ad Muncher, clear my cache, reload, the popup does not show up. It appears to be random.

I know where you are going with the new build, all mobile devices, plus all browsers. A new era in computing is coming with pads/tablets/mobile phones, etc.

However, the new Ad Muncher, to some of us, is distracting because of the popdown toolbar. I've decided to go with a flow a little, to see where AM goes. AM has been great; one of the best. But if a popup toolbar is too distracting/bothersome, then I plan on using a previous version or something else. I disagree with the implementation of a popup down toolbar.

I want the ability to turn off the bar completely.

It seems that the new AM cannot do what the old AM could do with the right click menu.
ZombyWoof

Postby Murray » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 am

ZombyWoof: Thanks again for the feedback. When the toolbar pops in randomly, what does it tell you? Is it just showing the statistics or is it telling you about a blocked popup? Also, have you tried clearing your browser cache to ensure the new checkbox option is taking effect?
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby ZombyWoof » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:35 am

Murray wrote:When the toolbar pops in randomly, what does it tell you? Is it just showing the statistics or is it telling you about a blocked popup? Also, have you tried clearing your browser cache to ensure the new checkbox option is taking effect?

The bar is just showing me the statistics, no information on blocking popups.

As I said above, I have tried clearing the browser cache, and reloaded. I have tried it both with the checkbox check and unchecked. The bar appears random to me. I have seen the toolbar when it shows when it is blocking popups. (I have confirmed this with the popup test site)

I wish I could give a site where it is doing it, but so far it appears randomly on sites and not very often.
ZombyWoof

Postby ulta » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:55 am

Murray wrote:This solution is intended to make features available in all browsers and, more importantly, across all platforms. Mobile ones for example

Hello Murray

Your meaning is

Ad Muncher, will add support in the pad / mobile phone, the future?

If that is true, I am very happy. :mrgreen:
ulta

Postby daniisman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm sticking with the old version and just getting advert list updates. i know... but i prefer the old right click method. :wink: the new bars too glitzy for me, wish there was on option to choose old method or new.
daniisman
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:23 pm

@daniisman

The older beta doesn't get list updates.

Also what will you do when v4.93 is the new final?

The old extension system is gone...
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby joe123456 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:12 am

The new toolbar popup is just as obnoxious as the advertisements it is meant to block in the first place.

Why does it exist? Why is it even remotely necessary? Why was it considered a good idea in the first place?

It is completely redundant, ugly, and unnecessary. The munching cow icon, along with the fact that I am not seeing advertisements and popups, should be enough to know that Ad Muncher is doing its job. I don't need a ridiculous blue bar flashing across the top of my screen to tell me.

Unacceptable, in my opinion.
joe123456
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs