Remove ToolBar

Report any Ad Muncher crashes or odd behavior here. Please include your Ad Muncher version and any applicable URLs.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Re: Remove ToolBar

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:49 am

It exists because it's useful.

We needed a universal browser extension so we could support Chrome and Safari as well as any other browser that will be made in the future.

Chrome has 20% market share and those users needed a way to remove ads and report ads or page damage to us.

Safari and all other browser support is just an added bonus.

Maintaining a single extension frees up more of our resources as well.

We have tons of features we plan on adding to the toolbar to make it a very versatile tool.

You have complete control over it. Left clicking instantly dismisses it and it should only appear if a popup is blocked.

This lets you open the blocked popup if it was a good popup you needed.

The tray icon does not show you this information.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby joe123456 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 am

What does an ugly and obnoxious popup toolbar have to do with compatibility?

I liked Roboform because I can set it and forget it. I update the lists, I go back to ad free browsing. That's it.

People don't want toolbars. How did you guys come up with the idea that people wanted another toolbar to use? This is completely against what EVERY browser has done recently. They've streamlined menus and toolbars to give more screen real estate and to make the experience as clean and uncluttered as possible. Your pop up toolbar completely goes against that.

No, I don't have complete control over it because it still pops up. Saying I can left click and it goes away is like saying I can X out of a normal pop up ad. If I am on a site where I need to use the popup, I will disable Ad Muncher or set my filters properly. The tray icon doesn't need to show this information.

This is a significant step back for this program, and if it's really as necessary as you are trying to make it sound, having the option to disable it completely would be very much appreciated.

I'm waiting to hear from somebody who says they like the toolbar or that finds it extremely useful or helpful.
joe123456
New User

Postby AkbarRi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:49 pm

joe123456 wrote:...............
I'm waiting to hear from somebody who says they like the toolbar or that finds it extremely useful or helpful.

i like that toolbar :D

Useful & Helpful:
- Less Browser Extensions or Add-Ons, before i need to create "Admuncher Ext for Chrome", "Fix Opera menu.ini" and "Regedit IE8 Context Menu"
- Easy to create "Custom Filter" via "Munch Item", before i need to open "Logs - Retrieved URLs" or "Browser - Inspect Element"
- Easy to open "Blocked Popup" especially when on "Fullscreen Mode", before i need to exit "Fullscreen" then "Right Click Tray Icon"

i think it's more about "PowerUser"
That's it :mrgreen:
[ Blink, Gecko, Presto, Webkit + AdMuncher + Squid + Bind ]
AkbarRi
Wiz

Postby broman.martin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:01 pm

AkbarRi wrote:
joe123456 wrote:...............

i like that toolbar :D

Useful & Helpful:
- Less Browser Extensions or Add-Ons, before i need to create "Admuncher Ext for Chrome", "Fix Opera menu.ini" and "Regedit IE8 Context Menu"
- Easy to create "Custom Filter" via "Munch Item", before i need to open "Logs - Retrieved URLs" or "Browser - Inspect Element"
- Easy to open "Blocked Popup" especially when on "Fullscreen Mode", before i need to exit "Fullscreen" then "Right Click Tray Icon"

i think it's more about "PowerUser"
That's it :mrgreen:

Have to agree with previous entry. I find it usefull too. No more popups of a window, but it also lacks the better portion of previous version where you could choose different entries (or what ever).
broman.martin
Wiz

Postby Zootopia3000 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:26 pm

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Have yet to go to a site where I even get a popup, so the toolbar is inconsequential. As for right click context menu being gone, well, I never used it anyway. Most ads never show to begin with and I only have 4 custom filters as is now.

For me, getting rid of Hulu ads at this point should be the priority. Probably won't be long until other video streaming sites catch on to what Hulu is doing to thwart AdMuncher.
Zootopia3000
Addict

Postby Murray » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:51 am

The toolbar will become more and more useful as features are added in the future. Right now we have a platform that works across all browsers with a single codebase (so Safari and Chrome users now have support), including mobile browsers, and which doesn't require software to be installed on a system (eg: gateway filtering).

If you turn off popup notices it should never pop in unless you specifically use the key combination to activate it, I really fail to see how that can be seen as obnoxious and completely unacceptable. Please let me know if I'm missing something that it's doing here.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Zootopia3000 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Murray wrote:If you turn off popup notices it should never pop in unless you specifically use the key combination to activate it...

That option doesn't work... Unchecking 'Display a notice in the browser status and title bars when a popup or alert is blocked'.
That's the main complaint here. Just sayin'.
Zootopia3000
Addict

Postby ZombyWoof » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Murray wrote:...I really fail to see how that can be seen as obnoxious and completely unacceptable. Please let me know if I'm missing something that it's doing here.

While I cannot speak for all of us, some of us think that a popdown toolbar is undesireable. In fact, popdown/popup toolbars are one of things we try to NOT see. I remove them if possible. They are an undesireable nuisance that blocks my view. They are a nuisance and that includes the new AM.

Like I said I understand what you trying to accomplish. However, AM is being changed and some of us are used to a certain way of using AM. This change has reduced AM somewhat due to the right click menu disappearing. Some used it, some didn't. Do I really need the right click menu? No. Do I really need the popdown toolbar? No. I have not seen anything to use the popdown toolbar for.

There is one site I know of that a popdown toolbar appears randomly, but there's nothing to remove:

Code: Select all
http://www.2baksa.net/

That site is the only one I know of that shows the popdown toolbar and asks if I want to remove the popup. (But there's no popup to remove!)

I have had the toolbar appear on other sites and it just shows the stastitics. But like I said, it is random, and I cannot give a link.

It's too bad I/we cannot get the advert list and use it for a non-toolbar AM. It's a dead horse issue, I know. So live, and let live. All things that have a beginning have an end.
ZombyWoof

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:27 pm

@Zootopia3000 that should be fixed for the next beta.

@ZombyWoof after the next beta is released you can disable all automatic notices of the toolbar via the Popups tab.

then it will never appear unless you tell it to.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby daniisman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Jeff wrote:@daniisman

The older beta doesn't get list updates.

Also what will you do when v4.93 is the new final?

The old extension system is gone...

Hi Jeff,
Its a shame you didnt ask for feedback before adding the new toolbar , i much prefer the old method. But i will stick with the older one anyway . I just dont want the added bar , and from what i read not many do. sorry :(
daniisman
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:28 pm

@daniisman

The old system didn't work for Chrome or Safari or any other browser aside from IE, firefox and Opera.

Chrome is 20% of the market and growing.

If you don't upgrade your filter list will quickly grow stale and ads will start to appear, also tech support won't be offered for old versions.

I'm not sure how that could possibly be an option.

Why not run the new version for now?

You can always install the old version again later if the new one isn't something you can get used to.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby daniisman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 am

Jeff wrote:@daniisman

The old system didn't work for Chrome or Safari or any other browser aside from IE, firefox and Opera.

Chrome is 20% of the market and growing.

If you don't upgrade your filter list will quickly grow stale and ads will start to appear, also tech support won't be offered for old versions.

I'm not sure how that could possibly be an option.

Why not run the new version for now?

You can always install the old version again later if the new one isn't something you can get used to.

Hi Jeff
an option not to have the toolbar at all should be quite easy for you to implement , then if we ( the fussy no add on lot) need access we can just open the main program up. :)
daniisman
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am

Apparently you missed what I said above.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17616&start=30#p37052
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Davebo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Murray wrote:The toolbar will become more and more useful as features are added in the future.

Such as?

Surely not a revenue generating feature? Like selling advertising? :evil:

What the hell else COULD it be, that you're being so evasive?
Davebo
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 pm

we aren't being evasive.

We just won't know specifically what's added until it's added...

Basically, more powerful ad removal.

This is just the first version so only links, images and flash are removable at the moment.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs