ad muncher causing page stalls during load

Report any Ad Muncher crashes or odd behavior here. Please include your Ad Muncher version and any applicable URLs.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

ad muncher causing page stalls during load

Postby LisaSimpson » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:23 pm

-
Last edited by LisaSimpson on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaSimpson
Wiz

Re: ad muncher causing page stalls during load

Postby Murray » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:00 am

It sounds like a dropped packet issue on the connection. Browsers may not retry connections as they normally would when routed through AM, so a failed outbound connection can cause a failed page load rather than just a delayed one.

We're working on a way to avoid this in the new engine (an outbound retry system), but it's not a trivial problem. Please stay tuned.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby LisaSimpson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:30 am

-
LisaSimpson
Wiz

Postby Murray » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:23 am

It's very hard to say for certain, but we've identified one situation where a bad connection can be exacerbated by AM.

The code in question is in the process of being replaced, so we'll have better diagnostic tools to investigate further in the near future.

We'll work to make these diagnostic features available ASAP so we can nail down the exact cause in your situation.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby LisaSimpson » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:55 am

-
LisaSimpson
Wiz

Postby critter » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:42 am

I am still experiencing this same thing
went from firefox "palemoon" current
back to firefox "palemoon" ver 3.6
to get rid of it, still happens in ver 3.6
but not as much
I thought it was the new firefox "palemoon"
but somehow ad muncher had changed to bring about this behavior
I have a great connection about 30mps down

oh, i'm not a new user, used ad muncher for many years
and this has been going on for a good while now
critter
New User

Postby critter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 pm

"""This is a cut and paste from the Palemoon Dev"""

Reading into the thread filtering out the crap about 32-bit and 64-bit and the fact that the people there seem to think that "Pale Moon is an unpatched Firefox 15" (which I must clearly state here it is not - check the release notes for the list of critical security patches implemented!!) the issue seems to be that the status bar in Pale Moon displays a connection to the admuncher server. This is not a bug in Pale Moon or the status bar code, since the "background network traffic" is properly displayed and will switch to "done" if the connection is actually closed.

It is a defect in ad muncher that one of their http connections remains open and as such Pale Moon will display it in the status bar. If their software would properly close all connections to their checking server, Pale Moon would display "done" in the status bar.
critter
New User

Postby Jeff » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Critter.

these are two completely separate issues.

don't conflate the two.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby critter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:11 pm

I hate to say it but I think by now most people that has been following
this can see who is blowing smoke up someone's rear
why can't you just admit that there is a problem with
Ad Muncher and fix it if you can't, I'm not going to hold that against you
but just admit to it

I will not be posting any more about "this subject on this forum
I will let people make up their own minds about it
I figure this will wind up being deleted anyhow
critter
New User

Postby Jeff » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:44 am

I'm sorry you feel this way.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Dunkelmann » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:54 pm

I started getting this effect last month. I've been tearing my hair out over it, disabling various bits of the system. I'm a software professional and been on theinternet since the first UK commercial IP so I have some idea about what to do but came up with nothing.

As a last resort I did a search for connection reset and Ad Muncher. I came across this and another thread describing my symptoms. So, what the heck I thought, I'll try disabling filtering. That didn't seem to work so I exited Ad Muncher and hey presto pages started loading fine. In fact this forum wouldn't load at one time but as soon as I exited Ad Mucher (while the page was loading in Firefox) the page finished loading.

This leads me strongly to suspect a change in my system that involves Ad Muncher. The load problem also appears to be in IE but I hate that so I didn't investigate thoroughly.

I'm using the latest Firefox and Ad Muncher and non premium filter list. I only have a handful of my own filters. I'm on 64 bit Windows 7 Professional. I have one other machine on my home network but I don't have a Ad Muncher licence for it and it runs AdBlock Plus. It displays no problems whatsoever so that tends to eliminate network IP etc. It is 32 bit w7 Pro. Both machines have the same firewall (Agnitum Outpost) and antivirus (ESET NOD32).

I have an Ad Muncher licence on my work machine and as far as I can recall I get no problems there. I have the same OS, 64 bit but my company's network, antivirus and firewall.

As I said, this has only started happening over that last couple of weeks and I can't recall what I may have changed. I'm not blaming Ad Muncher directly but I'm drawing the conclusion that it is in the frame! I'm hoping you can advise where to go with this.
Dunkelmann
New User

Postby Jeff » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:04 pm

If closing Ad Muncher solves it for you but it works fine on a different machine that also runs Ad Muncher then something on the first machine is conflicting with Ad Muncher.

it's up to you to use trial and error to find out what that is.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby LisaSimpson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:14 pm

-
Last edited by LisaSimpson on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaSimpson
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:29 pm

LisaSimpson wrote:Still occurring for me in various configurations, on various systems. Exiting ad muncher results in an ENORMOUS!!! speed improvement than compared to when ad muncher is running. Yes, Ad muncher removes the ads, but when I lose speed from things like gzip compression, http 1.1 persistent connections, and general page stalls caused by ad muncher, then sorry, but it is time for ad muncher to go. And yes, I've run this on several systems WITHOUT security software just to see if that was the problem. Same symptoms, same problems.

I'm not saying this isn't happening for you, but this is not the normal experience for our users.

Lack of gzip is not causing your slow downs.

You are in an incredibly small minority when it comes to performance issues with Ad Muncher.

I'm sorry that this is the case but when it comes to bugs, if we can't duplicate them on ANY machine we have then there's very little we can do.

I'm still convinced this is related to something else you have installed on your machine.

Every computer I've ever used Ad Muncher on saw a marked improvement. Any issue was almost invariably 3rd party related.

I get far more e-mails extolling the virtues of Ad Muncher than the issue you are experiencing.

v5.x is a complete rewrite, maybe it won't have this particular conflict with your computers.

We are working on it every day, and we inch closer to a beta release all the time.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby danielz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 pm

I am running Windows 8, 64 bit. I too am starting to narrow things down to something weird with AdMuncher causing IE to completely stop loading pages, hang in the middle, and frequently I am unable to even refresh pages to get them to open.

Separate from this issue, I installed Avast Internet Security 7 on one of my machines. Avast, in combination with AdMuncher seems to also have problems... after a few hours of internet browsing, Avast loses its license file info and thinks that it is expired. There is also a message that pops-up stating that there is "not enough storage to complete command".... The only reason I bring this up is that it may help point to whatever is happening when AdMuncher starts failing on web page loads.

I do think that this has only recently become an issue (say since December/January).....
danielz
New User

Next

Return to Bugs