No filtering on Windows 8.1

Report any Ad Muncher crashes or odd behavior here. Please include your Ad Muncher version and any applicable URLs.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Re: No filtering on Windows 8.1

Postby pegas » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:59 am

@ Jeff

It is almost year I bought the lifetime license in order to have covered the free upgrade to version 5 believing the release of version 5 is just a matter of time because I had such impression from your comments on IRC and forums across Internet. Yeah probably my mistake I don't blame you for it.

Anyway, if you're developing version 5 for us, customers, and potential future customers and thus for revenue you should give us ETA.

If you're developing version 5 for your pleasure, OK no problem to ignore us.
pegas
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:37 am

We can't tell you what we don't know.

Clearly our past guesses were wrong.

So what's the point in giving you a date if we can't meet that date?

it's going to take as long as it takes.

I know you hate hearing that but there's not much we can do.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby AkbarRi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:26 pm

There's "Good News" and "Bad News" running AdMuncher on Windows 8.1

Let's start with "Good News" :)
1. AdMuncher could Filter Chrome and Firefox base Browser
2. Now Admuncher Support Gzip / HTTP 1.1 with Chrome/Firefox Browser,
U can check it at
http://browserspy.dk/gzip.php
http://browserspy.dk/headers.php
http://browserspy.dk/http.php

"Bad News" :oops:
1. AdMuncher could'nt Filter IE11, even if
- Running AdMuncer as Admin
- Add wsock32.dll to IE Folder
- Disable Enhanced Protected Mode

My Prediction about this case:
1. IE 11 doesn't use/load "mswsock.dll" anymore.
U can check it with Sysinternal "Process Explorer" or "Process Monitor"
2. Chrome, Firefox and even "Explorer.exe" :shock: still using "mswsock.dll"
That's why on AdMuncher > Options > Filter Target > Program that made connections > could detect "Chrome", "Firefox" and "Explorer" but not "IExplorer" :wink:

I'm still working on AdMuncher BHO for IE 11 like AdblockPlus did for IE 11.
Hopefully i could inject that "interceptedby.admuncher.com" js to IE :mrgreen:
BTW, if anyone also interested this is my guide http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/dev.asp (damm thing is that one is for old IE, but NEVER GIVE UP!!! :twisted: )
[ Blink, Gecko, Presto, Webkit + AdMuncher + Squid + Bind ]
AkbarRi
Wiz

Postby goldentequila » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm not on Windos 8 but using IE11 on Windows 7. I think the basic problem is the same, so I'm just adding my post here. I enjoyed admuncher for a while, and last year I finally coughed up my $ to purchase the lifetime subscription since it had convinced me that it would be worth it. I can relate to others' frustration in that it became useless right after spending that much money with no updates. I am understanding of how quickly things change in the tech industry and the challenge faced by third party application developers, especially if they are not big companies with enough resources. However, it's also true that it is not an ethical business model to just blame the big guys for implementing new systems in order to justify their own shortcomings as a developer or a company either. After all, it is all in perspectives where the fault lies. It is the ever evolving technology that's at fault? Is it a third party developer that fails to keep up with it in a reasonable timeline? But, more importantly, I don't think the blame game is productive nor helpful. I also don't like to take sides in general because it's never black or white. So, here are some things that I'd like to leave in this forum:

- To the developers: From customers' perspectives, I don't believe responses like it's MS and not your fault, etc. are very helpful nor well-perceived. I think many of your responses I've read in this forum are a reflection of your frustration, and I can understand that because I'd probably feel the same way if I were in your shoes. However, when a person runs a business and when something goes wrong, it is still the business owner's responsibility to make it right. For example, if bed bugs break out at an apartment complex, the landlord is responsible to take care of that even though it is clearly not his/her fault as they had no control over it. And, yes, the landlord is also a victim to this unfortunate situation, and it sucks that the landlord has to spend extra money and effort to resolve the problem. However, that's a risk and a responsibility inherent in running a business and not to be used as an excuse if you're not prepared enough to resolve the problem in a timely manner. Most importantly, while you may also feel like a victim of the circumstance, it is important to remember that your customers are the true victims who are suffering more.

- To the customers (including myself): As I stated above, let's be understanding of the situation and the fact that it's not like the developers want us to suffer. I'm sure they want to resolve this problem as much as we do, if not more since they could lose their business if they don't. So, while a response like "it's going to take as long as it takes" is quite discouraging, I don't think it means they're sitting around being lazy. I'm sure they're working hard. So, if you still feel that you want admuncher to return to its former glory, let's be supportive and hope for the best. If not, you always have the option of getting your money back. If you used a credit card, it's easy to get your money back through your bank (the current situation will suffice legally for them to retrieve your payment, especially if you purchased the lifetime subscription recently but may not work for you if you bought it a long time ago). Personally, while I could get my money back that way, I'm choosing not to do so. I've tried all other ad block software and never found one I liked as much as I like admuncher. I'm crossing my fingers for the newer version so that I can be a happy admuncher user again :)

Lastly, this is just a random thought, but I wonder if the developers could offer some incentives/compensations for customers who purchased the lifetime subscription within 1 year, given the situation? Maybe something like adding access to the premium filter list to our subscription?

GT
goldentequila

Postby Jeff » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:23 pm

IE11 support is coming.

please be patient.

Using another browser is only temporary.

Also, you can uninstall IE11 which reverts back to IE10 for those who must use IE.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Previous

Return to Bugs