Win7 and IE11 and Chrome with/without AdMuncher

Report any Ad Muncher crashes or odd behavior here. Please include your Ad Muncher version and any applicable URLs.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Win7 and IE11 and Chrome with/without AdMuncher

Postby johnmaar » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Life was good, until it wasn't. About 2 weeks ago, I updated Kaspersky from 2013 to 2014. At about the same time, every Win7 app (Chrome and Outlook, mostly) I ran that accessed the Internet went wonky (like the app was having trouble resolving every single URL (especially web pages with lots of photo URLs)). I messed around with Kaspersky and my routers, then I checked if I had the same problem with IE (which I HATE). I did. And I noticed that our friends at MS had pushed IE 11 to my PC as an update. Guess when? Right when everything went wonky. What "fixed" the current wonkiness? Closing AdMuncher.

This topic has been covered more than once in this forum, so why a new one? Because I run Chrome, not IE. But whatever the IE 11 "update" did, it negatively impacted my entire Internet experience. AdMuncher would filter Chrome, but effective connection speed reminded me of the old analog modem days. I'm old enough to remember my first 19.2K modem, and how much FASTER it seemed, and now I've got 40 MB down and 20 MB up (well, they call it 20 MB, but it's usually around 12 MB (still blazing)). And I felt like I was back on a modem.

Has anyone in my situation (Win7 64-bit; IE 11; latest AdMuncher; latest Chrome; Outlook; use Chrome basically exclusively for browser work) noticed the same impact across your Internet experience after MS pushed IE 11 onto you?

Thanks in advance.
“The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by a period of worry and depression.” - John Preston (Boston College)
johnmaar
Addict

Re: Win7 and IE11 and Chrome with/without AdMuncher

Postby oldguy69 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 pm

I don't know if this will be of any help since it's not your exact configuration, but I'm running Win 7 Home Pro (x64) SP1 with Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop. I have IE 11 installed, and also Firefox 26.0. AdMuncher is up-to-date.

The laptop performs normally, with the known exception that AdMuncher does nothing in IE 11. AdMuncher works normally in Firefox though.

It sounds to me like you have a conflict. It may be AdMuncher related, but it could also be the Kaspersky update that caused the start of the problems or IE 11.

If I were experiencing your problem I would try, as trouble shooting steps, uninstalling IE 11 and rolling back to IE 10. If that doesn't help, I'd try uninstalling Chrome, and maybe installing Firefox (if you hate IE so much). And if none of that helps....I'd look to Kaspersky as the culprit.

Good luck.
oldguy69

Postby Jeff » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:00 pm

johnmaar wrote:Life was good, until it wasn't. About 2 weeks ago, I updated Kaspersky from 2013 to 2014. At about the same time, every Win7 app (Chrome and Outlook, mostly) I ran that accessed the Internet went wonky (like the app was having trouble resolving every single URL (especially web pages with lots of photo URLs)). I messed around with Kaspersky and my routers, then I checked if I had the same problem with IE (which I HATE). I did. And I noticed that our friends at MS had pushed IE 11 to my PC as an update. Guess when? Right when everything went wonky. What "fixed" the current wonkiness? Closing AdMuncher.

This topic has been covered more than once in this forum, so why a new one? Because I run Chrome, not IE. But whatever the IE 11 "update" did, it negatively impacted my entire Internet experience. AdMuncher would filter Chrome, but effective connection speed reminded me of the old analog modem days. I'm old enough to remember my first 19.2K modem, and how much FASTER it seemed, and now I've got 40 MB down and 20 MB up (well, they call it 20 MB, but it's usually around 12 MB (still blazing)). And I felt like I was back on a modem.

Has anyone in my situation (Win7 64-bit; IE 11; latest AdMuncher; latest Chrome; Outlook; use Chrome basically exclusively for browser work) noticed the same impact across your Internet experience after MS pushed IE 11 onto you?

Thanks in advance.

This has to be due to Kaspersky.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby AkbarRi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:22 pm

KAV/KIS 2014 "Slow Performance Browsing" bug is already known. Here => http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s= ... pic=271069
They said solved with patch B, but i still got same issue with kis14.0.0.4651abc (Patch A+B+C).

There's 2 Solution
1. Back to KAV/KIS 2013 (I did this)
2. For Chrome, Go to Settings -> Additional -> Threats and Exclusions. Under Manage Trusted Applications, click Add, goto Google Inc -> Google Chrome and tick "Do not scan all network traffic" and then add. (u will lose web protection but browsing performace back to normal)
[ Blink, Gecko, Presto, Webkit + AdMuncher + Squid + Bind ]
AkbarRi
Wiz

Postby johnmaar » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Good news. Kaspersky just pushed the 'd' patch to me this morning. Browsing back to normal! Woo hoo! Thanks to those replying. You were all spot on.

I've been using AdMuncher for so long, I've forgotten just how bad unmunched browsing is. I'm SO happy to be back in business.
“The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by a period of worry and depression.” - John Preston (Boston College)
johnmaar
Addict

Return to Bugs