Stop blank box where ad has been blocked?

Report any Ad Muncher crashes or odd behavior here. Please include your Ad Muncher version and any applicable URLs.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Stop blank box where ad has been blocked?

Postby oldguy69 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:36 pm

On the NY Times website, http://www.nytimes.com/ , I get a fairly large blank white box when I roll my cursor over a certain part of the page. Screenshot one attached shows what it looks like. Screenshot 2 shows it with AdMuncher filtering turned off.

This particular ad only shows up if I'm logged on. If I go to the website without being logged on the "Gift a Gift" link isn't there so the ad doesn't popup.

Is there any way to prevent that popup...maybe some configuration setting I'm missing?
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (48.84 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
ScreenShot002.jpg
ScreenShot002.jpg (72.09 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
oldguy69

Re: Stop blank box where ad has been blocked?

Postby Jeff » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:01 pm

If it's only there when logged in you will need to provide me with an account to view it...
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby oldguy69 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:38 am

I don't see how I could provide you with an account, Jeff, but you may be able to create one here:

https://myaccount.nytimes.com/register
oldguy69

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:05 am

There are too many sites for me to do that.

If you want a site fixed you must provide me with everything I need.

I have so many things to fix, I'll just spend my time fixing something else.

I must prioritize.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby oldguy69 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Ok. I thought I'd bring this particular behavior to your attention but I'll just live with it and go on with life.
oldguy69

Postby broman.martin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Please understand that if he had to create a dummy account for EVERY site that we need help with, it would take too much time to do that when he could've spent that time fixing things.
What is up with people not grasping what time is put into this support? Almost only complaining, and though we pay for this, we could give thanks every now and then, and not only when we've gotten help with removing an ad we encounter on a page, or other things.

Without ad-muncher, internet browsing would be a major pain in the buttocks; IMHO! Sure, free versions of similar programs/extensions/add-ons do exist.. but they pale in comparison. So be glad this one exists.
broman.martin
Wiz

Postby oldguy69 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks bzg. That's what I figured Jeff could do but if he's too busy....so be it.

However, let me update by saying that out of curiosity I signed in with that account you created, and then signed out. I found that I was wrong when I said you have to be signed in to get the blank box.

If you roll your mouse cursor over the area to the left of the Log In link, you get the munched box without being signed in.

For whatever it's worth.

This screen scrab was taken from Firefox 26.0 without being signed in to the Times website:
ScreenShot003.jpg
ScreenShot003.jpg (24.59 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

P.S.

broman.martin....I agree 100% with your appreciation of AdMuncher. I'm spoiled by it and I'm always amazed when I have occasion to browse the web on a machine where ads aren't blocked. I'm happy to pay for the AdMuncher improvement in browsing. Having said that...it doesn't mean I can't hope for an improvement now and then. :wink:
oldguy69

Postby bzg » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:11 pm

broman.martin wrote:Please understand that if he had to create a dummy account for EVERY site that we need help with, it would take too much time to do that when he could've spent that time fixing things.
What is up with people not grasping what time is put into this support? Almost only complaining, and though we pay for this, we could give thanks every now and then, and not only when we've gotten help with removing an ad we encounter on a page, or other things.

Without ad-muncher, internet browsing would be a major pain in the buttocks; IMHO! Sure, free versions of similar programs/extensions/add-ons do exist.. but they pale in comparison. So be glad this one exists.

If I pay for a service I want support without an attitude, is that asking too much?
bzg
Addict

Postby bzg » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:17 pm

oldguy69 wrote: Thanks bzg. That's what I figured Jeff could do but if he's too busy....so be it.

Your welcome. I don't see the big deal spending less than a minute on support for your paying customers.

oldguy69 wrote:broman.martin....I agree 100% with your appreciation of AdMuncher. I'm spoiled by it and I'm always amazed when I have occasion to browse the web on a machine where ads aren't blocked. I'm happy to pay for the AdMuncher improvement in browsing. Having said that...it doesn't mean I can't hope for an improvement now and then. :wink:

I love Admuncher also, have 2 licenses. I don't love the attitude we sometimes receive from Jeff.
bzg
Addict

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:42 pm

bzg wrote:
oldguy69 wrote: Thanks bzg. That's what I figured Jeff could do but if he's too busy....so be it.

Your welcome. I don't see the big deal spending less than a minute on support for your paying customers.

oldguy69 wrote:broman.martin....I agree 100% with your appreciation of AdMuncher. I'm spoiled by it and I'm always amazed when I have occasion to browse the web on a machine where ads aren't blocked. I'm happy to pay for the AdMuncher improvement in browsing. Having said that...it doesn't mean I can't hope for an improvement now and then. :wink:

I love Admuncher also, have 2 licenses. I don't love the attitude we sometimes receive from Jeff.

There was no attitude in my reply whatsoever.

I was merely stating facts.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:00 pm

removed for the next list update.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby oldguy69 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks Jeff.
oldguy69

Return to Bugs