How about partnering with netflix.com?

Post any ideas for promoting Ad Muncher here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

How about partnering with netflix.com?

Postby johuth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:39 am

The reason I say that is for many reasons.

1) Because of the NBC/Comcast merger they are going to limit vod content to netflix.com
2)Netflix is completely subscriber based no ad revenue. So ad muncher would not effect revenue at all.
3) Hulu is safe not netflix.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/18/comcas ... ulu-rules/

Con
4) I don't know if they use adds at all so it mite be difficult.

or at least you could get the netflix option on TrialPay program
johuth
Addict

Re: How about partnering with netflix.com?

Postby Jeff » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:54 am

Why would they partner with us?

What's their motivation?
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby johuth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Their motivation would be substantial loss of add revenue for hulu and other online streaming media companies because the more people that use your product the more websites like hulu that get all now most of their revenue from ads. Netflix is different they get all their revenue from subscriptions. So they would be simply unaffected by ad muncher also the product would change the market. It would make their competitors way of doing business less profitable. Hell the only reason I even tried your product is because of how annoying the ads on hulu are. It seems to be more frequent commercial stopping then even on tv although there is less ad time as a whole more frequent brakes and with more brakes but shorter ad time is more annoying because if you have longer breaks but less stopping it is easier to leave the room get a drink or whatever. Shorter but more frequent brakes make it harder do anything while the ad is playing also it makes it easier to remember the ads. Also hulu is not getting the kind of user funded revenue it wants with hulu plus because of the commercials. I am a hulu plus subscriber most people don't think it is worth the money because of how they set their site up and that is the main issue. More people knew about ad muncher hulu would have to change their strategy however I don't think they will. Pretty soon Netflix is going give users the option of having internet streaming only. Which is very smart...when it comes to vod it is in the end more profitable to have just that option then dvds through the mail because we are in an age where people what everything now. So they don't want to wait for discs to come in the mail they want media that they can view when every the get around to it. Now or a week from now people don't like to have to wait or have to watch video at a certain time in fact I think most people care less about video quality and more about the time frame then anything else. The basic reason that people use your product and a fine one it is at that. It changes not only how people view the internet but how people do business.

Thats all that comes to mind.

Jonathan
johuth
Addict

Postby johuth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 pm

here is a simple formula

the more people use ad muncher = less revenue for hulu = less profitable for them and for content providers host media on hulu.
Hulu less profitable = more access to vod content for netflix.

netflix more profitable because they have a completely different stream of revenue then hulu.
johuth
Addict

Postby johuth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Also hulu while more people use it. Netflix has them in many other areas. Netflix is on more devices. People don't want to use hulu aps for products like roku and Iphone, Ipad because they would have to pay a monthly fee and get commercials. I think the average consumer is really annoyed with that. Probably cheated some how. To pay for vod content and still have to watch commercials it seems odd at best and insulting at most. The one thing that users were looking forward too was commercial free hulu with the launch of hulu plus people wanted to view content with out ads. I have talked to plenty of people that canceled hulu plus right after they found this out. And it costs about the same to have one disc at a time and view mostly vod content on netflix. So consumers would think what is the point.

People use hulu because of more access to content but when it comes to other devices then pc or mac...more people use netflix. And hulu plus is just a slap in the face because of monthly fee "plus" ad content.
johuth
Addict

Return to Spread the Word