Ad Muncher PROXY demo

Post any ideas for promoting Ad Muncher here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Ad Muncher PROXY demo

Postby MackDiesel2010 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:03 am

What better a way for users to try out the effectiveness of ad muncher than for them to browse the web without having to install it?

Host a cgi-based proxy server, where users could browse for a limited time, but the sites viewed through the proxy would be filtered with the ad-muncher engine.

Right on the front page of admuncher.com you could have a form to have visitors type in any website and view what it would be like if they had ad-muncher installed.
MackDiesel2010

Postby war59312 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:10 am

Yeah that would be pretty sweet!
Statistics for Ad Muncher v4.94.34121/6855 (Free)
Adverts removed: 6,685,622
Bandwidth saved: 196,824 MB
Counter started: April 2, 2003

6,685,421 items blocked - 196.8 GB saved - 3.2 weeks saved - 3,075,293 trackers blocked - 15,443,322 cookies blocked
war59312
Wiz

Postby Shamurai » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:55 pm

Personally, I would rather see the existing development efforts go into the program. The amount of time it would take to write this code would take away time in programming things like regex, http 1.1, gzip, and per site filtering.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master

Postby Murray » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:21 pm

Definitely a good idea MachDiesel2010. It will have to wait though until the conversion to C is complete, at which point it should be relatively easy to compile under linux and hook into an existing proxy app.

But indeed for the moment we have to concentrate on important developments within the program itself.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby [deXter] » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:43 am

Its an awesome idea :)

Actually, they idea can go beyond a demo. Registered users could have their own login on the site, and they could use it in places where they aren't allowed to install programs (like Office/School PCs), or even better, be able to surf ad-free on ANY OS! This could even be configured further to perhaps have a complete ad-muncher clone online - like imagine, you'd be able to setup custom filters/text replacements/options etc, all online! Of course, the only limitation would be not being able to filter other processes :P
Ad Muncher - best companions:

Opera - Fastest Browser
Onspeed - Fastest Web Accelerator
cFosSpeed - Best Traffic Shaper
[deXter]
Addict

Postby [deXter] » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 am

When I saw this thread initially, I thought this idea was too easy to implement, so I set up a cgi proxy and configured Ad Muncher to filter it. The site worked and all, and for a while there I thought it was going well, till Shannow pointed out that it wasn't really filtering anything! I realised that some Ads were being blocked as they were filtered within the script, but as such, Ad Muncher wasn't filtering it. After reading the help, I fould out about Ad Muncher's wsock32.dll that can be used for apps that aren't getting filtered. Unfortunately, it wasn't working with that too. This wasn't so easy as I thought it would be..

Anyways, I setup a local proxy server and found that Ad Muncher was working fine with it!

So here I present the very first Ad Muncher CGI-Proxy online demo!

http://admuncher.mooo.com

Edit: After a bit more messing around, I managed to also setup a SOCKS proxy - that means you could also use Ad Muncher's filtering remotely for any app that supports it! (eg: MSN, Yahoo, etc) Although currently I've disabled the SOCKS feature (for obvious reasons).
[deXter]
Addict

Postby MackDiesel2010 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:01 pm

I agree that C conversion and program development should come first.

@deXter
proxy functionality is somewhat pointless for paying users. A demo proxy would be a great way to show off the ad removal, but proxies are slow. I know that when I need to use a proxy, I couldn't care less about ads and popups, as the most annoying thing is how slow the pages load. Also, most proxies now have *basic* popup removal functionality. an ad-muncher proxy would not save much load time, and at the office or school, people don't use proxies to get around ads. Such a service for paying admuncher users would not be practical or worth the increased load times.

Of course, if I needed a proxy for circumventing a blocked site at my school, an ad-muncher proxy service would be my first choice, but that's beside my point.
MackDiesel2010

Postby [deXter] » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:02 am

MackDiesel2010 wrote:I agree that C conversion and program development should come first.

@deXter
proxy functionality is somewhat pointless for paying users. A demo proxy would be a great way to show off the ad removal, but proxies are slow. I know that when I need to use a proxy, I couldn't care less about ads and popups, as the most annoying thing is how slow the pages load. Also, most proxies now have *basic* popup removal functionality. an ad-muncher proxy would not save much load time, and at the office or school, people don't use proxies to get around ads. Such a service for paying admuncher users would not be practical or worth the increased load times.

Of course, if I needed a proxy for circumventing a blocked site at my school, an ad-muncher proxy service would be my first choice, but that's beside my point.

I for one would love to use such a service when I'm away from my home PC. Proxies aren't necessarily slow, I regularly use free anonymous proxies to surf the net, with good speeds too. Well, sure, if you're having a 10Mbps+ connection, you might find it "slow", but I don't find a difference on my 2Mbps line.

I know a lot of people who wouldn't mind using a slightly slow proxy than see all the Ads on some sites. The proxy needn't be run on CGI, it could provide http / socks servies too, making it much more faster, efficient and reliable. I'm running a socks Ad Muncher proxy locally right now, and it works like a charm. I'm using it to surf Ad-free on my Pocket PC, and on a pc that runs QNX. I personally don't find any difference in performance using my local AM-socks proxy.

You know that we can't run Ad Muncher on any other platforms, so this is another advantage of having an AM proxy. Imagine those who use smartphones and such for accessing the net on-the-move, using GPRS or EDGE. Their net is slow as it is, and some providers even charge by the amount of data downloaded. Imagine also being bombarded with Ads at the same time- not only is it slowing down their net, its also increasing their bills as well as wasting precious screen space (since smartphones screens are small). An AM proxy would be immensely useful in such cases. A few of my friends are already pestering me to give them access to my proxy so that they can surf Ad free on their smartphones.

Of course, I too agree with the fact that AM development should get first priority (its been ages already since we've been hearing about gzip / http 1.1 / C ), but my point here is that not only is the proxy-for-registered-users idea very useful and feasibe, it also requires minimal effort to set it up. So this is something that should be on the AM team's plans, if not now, atleast in the near future.

Opera - Fastest Browser
[deXter]
Addict

Postby horizon » Thu May 24, 2007 10:41 am

Any chance to see the package, which I could deploy to my home machine?
wxp pro sp2 en 32bit / AM 4.71 / Maxthon2 over ie7 / sav 10
horizon
Wiz

Postby [deXter] » Thu May 24, 2007 11:02 am

@horizon:

Just get a proxy server that works with Ad Muncher. Personally, I'm using ccproxy and it works well. Set Ad Muncher to filter ccproxy, and thats it. Enter your PC's IP address on any other machine and surf ad free :)

Opera - Fastest Browser
[deXter]
Addict

Postby horizon » Thu May 24, 2007 11:18 am

Ok, I'll give it a try :)
horizon
Wiz

Postby horizon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi, I cannot make to work. i have got ccproxy running but I am stuck :(
horizon
Wiz

Postby [deXter] » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:22 pm

horizon wrote:Hi, I cannot make to work. i have got ccproxy running but I am stuck :(

Add ccproxy to Ad Muncher's list of programs to filter. Also, make sure that you've got some open ports, ie check whether you can access any sort of server on your pc from the net. You may need to enable port forwarding in your router.

Opera - Fastest Browser
[deXter]
Addict

Postby horizon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Yep, deployment of ccproxy and it's configuration might be clear. This enables me to use from intranet), but I am wondering, how can I utilize ccproxy's filtering (running on my home server) from extranet. Like you demnostrated. :-O
horizon
Wiz

Postby Jeff » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:17 pm

Keep in mind that this can't be used to bypass Ad Muncher's license restrictions.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Next

Return to Spread the Word