Making it availabe for the Linux platforms

Post any ideas for promoting Ad Muncher here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Making it availabe for the Linux platforms

Postby Mikkel » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:02 pm

Would make the linux community get involved.
Mikkel
 

Postby Shamurai » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:06 pm

Just out of curiosity (NO INTENT OF BEING RUDE IN THIS POST, PLEASE NOTE THAT), but, Get involved with what? bug testing the linux version? Just because it goes to linux doesnt mean it will be open source, i seriously doubt murray would open source this?
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 pm

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:53 pm

Using ad-mucher.
Guest
 

Postby Mikkel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Look, I never told anyone to make it open source. I don't care if it would be open source, closed source, shared source or whatever you can call it.

The this is, I was testing your application when I was still using windows. But as times goes, windows started to irritate me ALOT. So I switched to linux, and I love it!

However since there is no AdMucher for Linux and since it requires to use a windows based version of opera/internet explorer. (I can port IE, but it won't get online, so...), I cannot port AdMuncher to Linux.

Now let's say you release a linux version. There are like uh.. 20%+ linux users these days? (And another 20 is probably MAC).
Do you NOT think you would earn alot money on this?
Well there are free open source apllications allready which are supposed to block ads using a PROXY (proxy won't work here for some reason. I think it is because of the router).

And besides, who wishes to add every single link to ads in a filter when they can simply use AdMuncher.
Mikkel
 

Postby Jeff » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:33 pm

A linux version has been planned for sometime.

There is no time line for its release.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
User avatar
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer
 
Posts: 6119
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:16 am
Location: California, United States

Postby Shamurai » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:33 pm

Mikkel wrote:Look, I never told anyone to make it open source. I don't care if it would be open source, closed source, shared source or whatever you can call it.

The this is, I was testing your application when I was still using windows. But as times goes, windows started to irritate me ALOT. So I switched to linux, and I love it!

However since there is no AdMucher for Linux and since it requires to use a windows based version of opera/internet explorer. (I can port IE, but it won't get online, so...), I cannot port AdMuncher to Linux.

Now let's say you release a linux version. There are like uh.. 20%+ linux users these days? (And another 20 is probably MAC).
Do you NOT think you would earn alot money on this?
Well there are free open source apllications allready which are supposed to block ads using a PROXY (proxy won't work here for some reason. I think it is because of the router).

And besides, who wishes to add every single link to ads in a filter when they can simply use AdMuncher.


I think your numbers are inflated. The latest stats from w3cschools.com show about 3.3% of the users on the web are linux http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp (I know it says browser stats, but look below the browser statistics, it lists OS usage too) Also, most linux users dont purchase software, that is the whole beauty of linux. 99% of the software used on it doesnt have to be purchased, so while a few linux users might purchase it, I dont think it will produce a significant market share for the product. Yes, it would be nice to have it on the linux platform so every user could use it, but I dont forsee it being as big as your planning on making it or providing as many users as you claim.

Anyways, I have ad muncher running under ubuntu and suse 10 pro with Wine and it works like a champ. Then you can still use any available web browser on the linux platform. I suggest you try it out as I know I am not the only user to do this with ad muncher.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 pm

Postby Mikkel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Shamurai wrote:
Mikkel wrote:Look, I never told anyone to make it open source. I don't care if it would be open source, closed source, shared source or whatever you can call it.

The this is, I was testing your application when I was still using windows. But as times goes, windows started to irritate me ALOT. So I switched to linux, and I love it!

However since there is no AdMucher for Linux and since it requires to use a windows based version of opera/internet explorer. (I can port IE, but it won't get online, so...), I cannot port AdMuncher to Linux.

Now let's say you release a linux version. There are like uh.. 20%+ linux users these days? (And another 20 is probably MAC).
Do you NOT think you would earn alot money on this?
Well there are free open source apllications allready which are supposed to block ads using a PROXY (proxy won't work here for some reason. I think it is because of the router).

And besides, who wishes to add every single link to ads in a filter when they can simply use AdMuncher.


I think your numbers are inflated. The latest stats from w3cschools.com show about 3.3% of the users on the web are linux http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp (I know it says browser stats, but look below the browser statistics, it lists OS usage too) Also, most linux users dont purchase software, that is the whole beauty of linux. 99% of the software used on it doesnt have to be purchased, so while a few linux users might purchase it, I dont think it will produce a significant market share for the product. Yes, it would be nice to have it on the linux platform so every user could use it, but I dont forsee it being as big as your planning on making it or providing as many users as you claim.

Anyways, I have ad muncher running under ubuntu and suse 10 pro with Wine and it works like a champ. Then you can still use any available web browser on the linux platform. I suggest you try it out as I know I am not the only user to do this with ad muncher.


I think those stats applies to USA and not the rest of the world.
Maybe you should find some Chinese stats.

Not to mention that many people use windows because they think it is the only OS for a computer.
Mikkel
 

Postby Mikkel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:12 pm

I tested it with wine, and this is the result.

Image
Mikkel
 

Postby Shamurai » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:25 pm

Mikkel wrote:
Shamurai wrote:
Mikkel wrote:Look, I never told anyone to make it open source. I don't care if it would be open source, closed source, shared source or whatever you can call it.

The this is, I was testing your application when I was still using windows. But as times goes, windows started to irritate me ALOT. So I switched to linux, and I love it!

However since there is no AdMucher for Linux and since it requires to use a windows based version of opera/internet explorer. (I can port IE, but it won't get online, so...), I cannot port AdMuncher to Linux.

Now let's say you release a linux version. There are like uh.. 20%+ linux users these days? (And another 20 is probably MAC).
Do you NOT think you would earn alot money on this?
Well there are free open source apllications allready which are supposed to block ads using a PROXY (proxy won't work here for some reason. I think it is because of the router).

And besides, who wishes to add every single link to ads in a filter when they can simply use AdMuncher.


I think your numbers are inflated. The latest stats from w3cschools.com show about 3.3% of the users on the web are linux http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp (I know it says browser stats, but look below the browser statistics, it lists OS usage too) Also, most linux users dont purchase software, that is the whole beauty of linux. 99% of the software used on it doesnt have to be purchased, so while a few linux users might purchase it, I dont think it will produce a significant market share for the product. Yes, it would be nice to have it on the linux platform so every user could use it, but I dont forsee it being as big as your planning on making it or providing as many users as you claim.

Anyways, I have ad muncher running under ubuntu and suse 10 pro with Wine and it works like a champ. Then you can still use any available web browser on the linux platform. I suggest you try it out as I know I am not the only user to do this with ad muncher.


I think those stats applies to USA and not the rest of the world.
Maybe you should find some Chinese stats.

Not to mention that many people use windows because they think it is the only OS for a computer.


Where do you get that this is US only? Anyways, I provided stats for you, if you want to disprove me and show me somewhere in the world where linux is at 20%+ usage, please provide me the stats and a URL. I have provided you with one and this site monitors its own web hits along with various other sites to compile their results.

Anyways, do you have any input on my other comments? Like how most linux users wont pay for software since the beauty of linux is that it and most of its software is free so why would a linux user pay for ad muncher when they will claim that they have plenty of other viable free options? I agree that ad muncher blows most of them out of the water, but most users are happy with the free alternatives such as ad block for firefox (the browser used by the majority of linux users). Yes, AM might get a few more purchases and it will look better since its cross platform, but I dont think there will be a giant leap in usage/purchases due to a linux version being made available.

Also, I am unable to see that image, perhaps you should check the URL
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 pm

Postby Mikkel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:49 pm

Shamurai wrote:
Mikkel wrote:
Shamurai wrote:
Mikkel wrote:Look, I never told anyone to make it open source. I don't care if it would be open source, closed source, shared source or whatever you can call it.

The this is, I was testing your application when I was still using windows. But as times goes, windows started to irritate me ALOT. So I switched to linux, and I love it!

However since there is no AdMucher for Linux and since it requires to use a windows based version of opera/internet explorer. (I can port IE, but it won't get online, so...), I cannot port AdMuncher to Linux.

Now let's say you release a linux version. There are like uh.. 20%+ linux users these days? (And another 20 is probably MAC).
Do you NOT think you would earn alot money on this?
Well there are free open source apllications allready which are supposed to block ads using a PROXY (proxy won't work here for some reason. I think it is because of the router).

And besides, who wishes to add every single link to ads in a filter when they can simply use AdMuncher.


I think your numbers are inflated. The latest stats from w3cschools.com show about 3.3% of the users on the web are linux http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp (I know it says browser stats, but look below the browser statistics, it lists OS usage too) Also, most linux users dont purchase software, that is the whole beauty of linux. 99% of the software used on it doesnt have to be purchased, so while a few linux users might purchase it, I dont think it will produce a significant market share for the product. Yes, it would be nice to have it on the linux platform so every user could use it, but I dont forsee it being as big as your planning on making it or providing as many users as you claim.

Anyways, I have ad muncher running under ubuntu and suse 10 pro with Wine and it works like a champ. Then you can still use any available web browser on the linux platform. I suggest you try it out as I know I am not the only user to do this with ad muncher.


I think those stats applies to USA and not the rest of the world.
Maybe you should find some Chinese stats.

Not to mention that many people use windows because they think it is the only OS for a computer.


Where do you get that this is US only? Anyways, I provided stats for you, if you want to disprove me and show me somewhere in the world where linux is at 20%+ usage, please provide me the stats and a URL. I have provided you with one and this site monitors its own web hits along with various other sites to compile their results.

Anyways, do you have any input on my other comments? Like how most linux users wont pay for software since the beauty of linux is that it and most of its software is free so why would a linux user pay for ad muncher when they will claim that they have plenty of other viable free options? I agree that ad muncher blows most of them out of the water, but most users are happy with the free alternatives such as ad block for firefox (the browser used by the majority of linux users). Yes, AM might get a few more purchases and it will look better since its cross platform, but I dont think there will be a giant leap in usage/purchases due to a linux version being made available.

Also, I am unable to see that image, perhaps you should check the URL


Copy this link: http://www.t10web.com/pictures/snapshot3.png
And paste it into your browser.
Mikkel
 

Postby Shamurai » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:53 pm

Doesnt open, brings me to the homepage, again, check the link
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 pm

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:48 pm

Shamurai wrote:Doesnt open, brings me to the homepage, again, check the link


It brings you to the homepage because I have hot-link protection. Goto: http://www.t10web.com/Pictures/ and manually find Snapshot3.PNG
Guest
 

Postby Shamurai » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:37 pm

Not Found
The requested URL /Pictures/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 pm

Postby Jeff » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:47 pm

That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
User avatar
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer
 
Posts: 6119
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:16 am
Location: California, United States

Postby Shamurai » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:43 pm

still getting a 404 error here
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:05 pm

Next

Return to Spread the Word

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron