Status update - v4.7 Final Release

Ad Muncher status updates will be posted here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Postby Acadia » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:02 pm

Thanks, Murray, for the clarification.

Acadia
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson
Acadia

hmm, too bad, but special offer?

Postby iNsuRRecTiON » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:49 pm

Jeff wrote:The policy has not changed for anyone who purchased it before October 8th.

If you purchase it after October 8th then nothing was changed for you since you never had a copy before.

Murray wrote:The policy on upgrades was changed simply because "free updates for life" is not a sustainable business model. i.e.: in ten years time we will not be able to afford to support thousands of people who paid $24.95 (or $15) once ten or fifteen years ago.

I would love nothing more than to give Ad Muncher away for free, but as long as there are bills to pay and we are working full time on the program we must ask for your support.

Thank you for understanding.

Hey,

ok, too bad.

But at least you can offer again an unlimited lifetime license for a short time, a special announcement and 4.7 final release party discount :)

I mean ok, I see that this business model is not so good and you had to change it, but I mean we have halloween and you could combine halloween, with new 4.7 final release as an reason to offer an special discount for a very short time for AdMuncher license.

What about 15$ for 1 day and 20$ until 1 nov 2006 as special price, with unlimited lifetime license for AdMuncher, if you bought it in this timeframe..! :twisted: 8) :wink:

This could be one-time only and would be really a cool surprise and gift!

For the reason you have finally released 4.7 final code, you can make this special that people can buy AdMuncher for your very first price of 15$ for a short time with unlimited lifetime license :P :o

Think about it.

Thanks in advance!

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON
iNsuRRecTiON

Postby war59312 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:42 pm

iNsuRRecTiON, sadly I believe it's too late to do that. They waited too long for something like that to be effictive.

I agree it would have been a good idea and probally would have gained more customers, but at last they did not and it's too late. Too bad! :?
Statistics for Ad Muncher v4.94.34121/6855 (Free)
Adverts removed: 6,685,622
Bandwidth saved: 196,824 MB
Counter started: April 2, 2003

6,685,421 items blocked - 196.8 GB saved - 3.2 weeks saved - 3,075,293 trackers blocked - 15,443,322 cookies blocked
war59312
Wiz

hmm

Postby iNsuRRecTiON » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:55 pm

Hey,

nothing is too late :)

I'm one customer which would buy it for this price and lifetime license solution.. :lol: 8) :wink:

I want wait for the final 4.7, now final is available, but license is changed, so they will get no money..

I think such an special/discount is better than to get no money.

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

PS: I don't believe into software which you don't get at least 5 years of maintenance and updates.
I mean here, ok, they develop AdMuncher soo really slow, 4.7, then 4.8, 4.9 and finally maybe in 3 years (or 5 years?) 5.0, which they already announced 5-10 years ago (at this time..) lol
And many companies sells lifetime licenses for their sofware products, at least for homeusers and separated licenses for commercial use..
iNsuRRecTiON

Postby Shamurai » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:30 pm

Again, waiting for 4.7 to go final was your choice. A lot of companies change their licenses when they do a major release.

You cant hold Ad Muncher at fault for your deciding to wait, especially when the 4.7 beta cycle was extremely stable and frequently updated.

I honestly think that it makes sense that major upgrades should be done at an upgrade price (like 4.x to 5.x) because there is a lot of work that goes into each release. They are giving you the minor releases (which will include a majority of the functionality that will be in the 5.0 release) for free already. By the time 4.9 comes around, from my understanding, you should have HTTP 1.1 support, gzip support, regex support, per site filters, per filter stats, and various other features. That alone should be enough to hold over any user. Plus whatever new categories for filtration they decide to add.

Anyways, I support Murray and Jeff in their license move and dont think that they should be at fault for users who decided to wait for 4.7 to go final.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master

with the current features, the new license is a no no for me

Postby iNsuRRecTiON » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:43 pm

Hey,

no, absolutely not my fault.

The fault is at the developers, because now they don't get any money..

They should have announce this license change a month ago in a newsletter or so!

Then this would be no problem, but so..

And again, the first version of AdMuncher, which will be translatable into other languages (multilanguage interface, internationalized versions) is AdMuncher 5.0, maybe even later 5.x.

So I will only pay for unlimited lifetime license or earliest with version 5.0 and in the meantime I will find another solution.... :twisted:

I'm the user, I'm the one who will pay the developers, I'm the customer, customer is king, so you know..!

If the customers are not happy with this license, they won't get anything. Not more users.

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON
iNsuRRecTiON

Postby Shamurai » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:36 pm

Its not your fault that YOU waited until 4.7 went final? How do you figure? Did the developers tell you to wait until 4.7 went final? Yes, you are the customer, and yes, the dev's will lose your money since this change took effect. But, I dont blame the developers for your CHOICE to wait. Everytime I've seen a user with the decision of purchasing Ad Muncher with 4.7 in beta on the IRC channel, Jeff has been mighty supportive of them buying it now, showing them how stable the 4.7 beta cycle has been.

The customer is what drives the developers to continue developing, yes, but surely you cant blame them because YOU decided to wait. Seems to me that most of the users here support Murray and Jeff in their license change. After all, with only two developers, the lifetime model doesnt really make sense, especially for the type of product we are dealing with. If this were a cd ripper, or an IRC client, yes, I could see lifetime updates working, but for this type of application, its not feasible.

I am sorry to hear, as I am sure both the dev's are, that you have to find another solution, but once again, you cant blame them because you decided to wait.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master

Postby Shamurai » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:42 pm

By the way, blaming the dev's for your decision to wait for 4.7 is like blaming ford for releasing the 2007 mustang with a shorter warranty after you decided to wait for the 07.
Shamurai
Master

Postby linx05 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:46 am

So I will only pay for unlimited lifetime license or earliest with version 5.0 and in the meantime I will find another solution....

I'm the user, I'm the one who will pay the developers, I'm the customer, customer is king, so you know..!

I'm one customer which would buy it for this price and lifetime license solution..

I want wait for the final 4.7, now final is available, but license is changed, so they will get no money..

Then this post: http://www.admuncher.com/forum/viewtopi ... ight=#4035
I am a registered user and I use the most up to date (stable) BETAs. They feel fine to me. Though the feeling of getting a "Final" build is really good.

I thought you were always a paying customer iNsuRRecTiON? Or were you only a 'registered' customer? It just seems a bit fishy to me.
For my film website, visit, End Darko/Stangirra Productions
For all the latest news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News.
linx05
Wiz

Postby linx05 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:49 am

Oooops scratch that last quote, it was actually me saying that lol. But still, it does seem fishy.
For my film website, visit, End Darko/Stangirra Productions
For all the latest news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News.
linx05
Wiz

Postby Slekniwsob » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:41 am

linx05 wrote:I thought you were always a paying customer iNsuRRecTiON? Or were you only a 'registered' customer? It just seems a bit fishy to me.

Fishy? Well, we all know who Mr. iNsuRRecTiON is. I don't understand his moaning for lifetime licenses because he would NEVER buy any software!

Slekniwsob
New User

Postby Shamurai » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:20 pm

This annoys me to no end. People who pirate software, then come and whine about a license change. Its like people who pirate windows and then whine about microsoft charging too much. I am sorry, but if you didnt pay for it, you have no right to complain.
Shamurai
Master

post what you want, think what you want, ignore the truths..

Postby iNsuRRecTiON » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:10 pm

Hey,

lol, you can post what you want, but people complaining about such, really don't know what's going on in the world.

No one would pirate something, if they had enough money and things are cheap enough! (Not overpriced!)

Like MS software, lol, they complain about piracy, but don't lower their prices, even they rise them, like with upcoming Vista and then they wondering, more and more piracy occurs.

They have enough money and they don't need this pricey licenses for their developers, maintenance, etc.

The same goes to other software and I really had buy already much software licenses, but I don't buy things which are too expensive and not user/customer friendly business/license!

And the same goes to the music industrie, they complain, rise prices, don't lower online music title and album sales and wonder.
Everyone wonder, but don't see what's really the case and problem!

And for example allofmp3.com is really great. They sell the music and albums at an right pricepoint, great quality and rich choice.
Music industrie only complains to that, because they don't get soo much money from it, as with other online music stores..

But it's fully legal and I already pay them much money!
I always buy my music at allofmp3.com.

Now you can post and say what you want, you can believe it or not, I don't care.

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON
iNsuRRecTiON

Postby Acadia » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Ad Muncher?! Overpriced?! It's been the one of the best $25 that I have ever spent.

Acadia
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson
Acadia

Postby The Seeker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:57 pm

Acadia wrote:Ad Muncher?! Overpriced?! It's been the one of the best $25 that I have ever spent.

Hear, hear!
The Seeker
Wiz

PreviousNext

Return to Development Status