Status update - v4.7 Final Release

Ad Muncher status updates will be posted here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Postby Squuiid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:23 pm

Doesn't help me.
The only reason I noticed was because I went to actually purchase it.
Will definitely not buy now, I hate this kind of crap.

I understand they put a lot of time and effort into development, but you can't expect people to be happy with you changing the terms from one day to the next! $24.95 is still a lot of money and they should increase revenue by keeping it unlimited upgrades and thus people's recommendations because of this, not by stiffing new customers!
Squuiid

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:02 pm

The policy has not changed for anyone who purchased it before October 8th.

If you purchase it after October 8th then nothing was changed for you since you never had a copy before.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Murray » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:36 am

The policy on upgrades was changed simply because "free updates for life" is not a sustainable business model. i.e.: in ten years time we will not be able to afford to support thousands of people who paid $24.95 (or $15) once ten or fifteen years ago.

I would love nothing more than to give Ad Muncher away for free, but as long as there are bills to pay and we are working full time on the program we must ask for your support.

Thank you for understanding.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Shamurai » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:17 am

Squuiid wrote:Doesn't help me.
The only reason I noticed was because I went to actually purchase it.
Will definitely not buy now, I hate this kind of crap.

I understand they put a lot of time and effort into development, but you can't expect people to be happy with you changing the terms from one day to the next! $24.95 is still a lot of money and they should increase revenue by keeping it unlimited upgrades and thus people's recommendations because of this, not by stiffing new customers!

As said above, waiting was your choice. v4.7's beta cycle has been nothing but stable, so why you waited for it to go final escapes me. Even if there had been a bug, you would have had the top notch support you receive here to fix it. Murray has not let a bug go unfixed for more than 72 hours (usually a hell of a lot quicker than that). Jeff does an outstanding job maintaining the list and keeping it up to date. How then, can you complain about them changing the policy? Most companies that offer "Lifetime Updates" usually end up changing that policy down the road because as Murray said, its not a sustainable business model.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master

Updates

Postby greenhatch » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:06 am

Frankly if AdMuncher charged an annual fee, I'm sure most users would pay up (but don't get any idea Murray and Jeff ;)). It is a great program I recommend to anyone who speaks to me who moans about ads and popups.
greenhatch
Wiz

Further comment

Postby greenhatch » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:27 am

(I couldn't edit previous post)
In particular I wouldn't like to see the owners needing to sell up to a big outfit, because they couldn't afford to continue. I've seen Ewido AntiSpyware get bought by Grisoft (AVG) and SiteAdvisor by McAfee: much to the chagrin of most users of those two good programs (me included).
greenhatch
Wiz

Postby username » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:10 am

I support the developers on their choice to change the terms.

It's been two years between 4.6 Final & 4.7 Final. Consider the improvements & changes that have been made over that time.

Think about how many years you're going to have between 4.7 and 5.0

Now realize that 5.0 is supposed to be a BIG change in both features & flexibility.

I'm impressed that they're holding to their lifetime updates for pre-October 8th purchases. Though, they might have to modify their post-October 8th license to reflect that, otherwise it is nothing more than an unenforcable promise.
username
Addict

Postby Hanschke » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:34 pm

is this right now that old buyers will have the lifetime support and new buyers have to pay? :oops:

i have bought it cause of the nice lifetime feature cause i am a poor student :roll:
Hanschke
Addict

Postby Jeff » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:13 pm

It's very simple.

The new policy ONLY applies to someone who purchased Ad Mucncher after October 8th 2006.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby ybnice » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:21 pm

Well I should of read the forum more thoroughly and read this thread.

After reading it Jeff, I understand your point now and think it is fair one in all. Knowing that the v5 could be some 2 years at least away. The only thing I think that should be reworded Jeff is this part to stop any future confusion about the word "lifetime":-
Code: Select all
Just $24.95 (US Dollars) for each installation of Ad Muncher will cover you.  Your registration will also cover all future v4.x Ad Muncher releases, as well as all previous releases.

The word lifetime I think should be omitted as seems to contradict and confuse people, I for one at first was. Also alot of people dont read the Terms and Conditions which stipulates the 8th October cut-off date when purchasing Ad Muncher; they should but most dont - I didnt read it. So maybe something could be put there about reading the Terms and Conditions; ie an asterick beside lifetime - small writing at bottom with asterick referring to cut-off date for lifetime, 8th October in Terms and Conditions.

So thanks Jeff and also for your great support here on the forum. Also I will be purchasing the future v5 when it is available.

Thank you.
ybnice
Wiz

Postby ybnice » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:24 pm

Whoops notice that the word "lifetime" has now been omitted lol.
ybnice
Wiz

Postby Acadia » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:48 am

Concerning the change from Assembly to C: someone that I have a lot of respect for (their knowledge of computers) said that changing from Assembly to C means you are changing from a fast, compact code, to a big bloated code, and they can't imagine that change would be better for porting, maintenance or stability.

I'm confused and befuddled. :?:

Thanks,
Acadia
The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson
Acadia

Postby Murray » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:53 am

Acadia: assembly is perfect for a small bit of performance-critical code, it is not appropriate for the entire program to be written in.

The difference in performance will not be noticable by any human, and when needed we will still use assembly to get the most out of critical code sections.

As to their assertion that C is not any better for porting, maintenance or stability, this is simply incorrect.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby bommel » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:36 am

I'm glad I bought it before October but can understand Murray. This lifelong updates model simply isn't feasible. I don't like the "updates included until the next major release" model, though. You never really now what you get then for your $25 (like with WebDrive. Don't like it).

I would make it subscription based like a virusscanner instead. Virusscanners usually cost 29.99/year. For AM I would say something like 14.99/year (9.99 during "special offer" campaigns) feels adequate. You don't have to spend so much at one time and know what you get. I also feel this would put more pressure on Murray to develop faster to keep the customers.
bommel
New User

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:56 am

We couldn't develop Ad Muncher any faster even if we had 3 heads and 6 arms each.
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Status