Ad Muncher Toolbar Survey

Ad Muncher status updates will be posted here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

What do you think of the toolbar?

Thumbs up
48%
Thumbs down
36%
Don't feel strongly either way
14%
What toolbar?
2%

Total votes : 44

Ad Muncher Toolbar Survey

Postby Murray » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:03 am

Hi everyone,

If you haven't already, we strongly suggest everyone give our new v4.93 betas a try:

http://www.admuncher.com/beta.pl

We've introduced a new toolbar system which shows a toolbar at the top of the browser window, but only when you hold CTRL or SHIFT and right-click on a filtered page, or when a popup has been blocked.

We've considered ways of getting feedback on this new system. Ideally we'd show a prompt to all users asking for feedback, but we'd really prefer not to forcibly annoy our users with this kind of request. So I'm posting here to kindly ask for your feedback on the new system.

The new toolbar design was chosen to minimize the intrusion on your browsing, ensuring that nothing is visible unless it absolutely needs to be (or is requested).

The toolbar also serves as a replacement for our old browser extensions that is completely browser-agnostic, which means it now works in Chrome, Safari and the latest Firefox when the old browser extensions did not. The new system also works with mobile browsers, which is an important requirement for future Ad Muncher releases :)

For now the functionality is intended to just replace that of the old right-click browser extensions, but there is huge potential here for more advanced features in the future. Completely platform-independent configuration, for example.

Please note that the next beta will include an option to disable the popup-blockage notices from the toolbar, so it will then only ever appear when you hold CTRL or SHIFT and right-click, as requested by some users.

All feedback, positive and negative, would be very much appreciated before we release this as a final release. A quick participation in the poll would also be appreciated.

Thanks as always, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Re: Ad Muncher Toolbar Survey

Postby AkbarRi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 am

Thumbs Up :)

My suggestion, need Option for :
- Custom Hotkey
- Completely Disable PopUp / No PopUp

Plus, it Inspiring Me Something with that Cross-Platform Idea!
AkbarRi
Wiz

Postby qwertz123456 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:09 am

Thumbs Up :-)

Please make an option in confic window to make it only viewing when STRG OR Shift and the right click

Thank you.
qwertz123456
Addict

Postby Murray » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. When you mention the customizable hotkey, could I ask what you would like it changed to?

Also: if you select thumbs-down please take a few seconds to explain why so we can improve things :-)
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby tvholic » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 pm

I don't like toolbars of any kind. Please add an option to prevent it from ever appearing.
tvholic
New User

Postby Murray » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Do you object to menu bars that appear when you press the ALT key? As seen by default in IE/Firefox/etc.

Is providing our hidden options via a key-plus-button combination more intrusive than that?
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby tvholic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:20 pm

I don't use any applications with menus that appear or disappear when the Alt key is pressed. I consider that to be very poor interface design. But I've only been using Windows since 1987.

It just seems to me that this kind of activity (unsolicited pop-up bars while browsing the web) is the sort of thing that people use Ad Muncher to *stop* from happening.
tvholic
New User

Postby AkbarRi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:35 pm

[quote="Murray"] Thanks for the feedback guys. When you mention the customizable hotkey, could I ask what you would like it changed to?

Also: if you select thumbs-down please take a few seconds to explain why so we can improve things :-) [/quote]

I expect to be as flexible as possible.
- keyboard only
- mouse only
- keyboard + mouse

it's easy for PC/Laptop users with that "hold CTRL or SHIFT and Right-Click",
but what about Touchscreen or Tablet users?
AkbarRi
Wiz

Postby moamoamoa » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:14 pm

[quote="Murray"]
Thanks as always, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.[/quote]

I do like the toolbar as it is html and thus "universal" and not causing compatibility issues each and everytime firefox updates.

I have a question about the stats the toolbar displays:
498,135 items blocked - 14.7 GB saved - 1.7 days saved - 229,142 trackers blocked - 1,150,691 cookies blocked
while AM configuration says:
Adverts removed by Ad Muncher: 498,135
Approximate bandwidth saved: 3,891 MB

Which one is right? And what does "days saved" value refer to on the toolbar?
Thanks.
moamoamoa
New User

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Both stats are based on the same number of ads.

The toolbar just takes that information and applies a more accurate formula from data we collected.

Time saved is the amount of time you were saved by not having to download those ads.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Rodalpho » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 pm

I really hated the previous beta, where the toolbar would appear with every popup blocked. Now that the option to stop the toolbar appearing works, I have no problem with it.
Rodalpho

Postby Murray » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 am

Nicely spotted moamoamoa - we are using newer statistics for the toolbar-based bandwidth number but are using a much older statistic on the "about" tab (from back when most ads weren't massive flash monstrosities). I'll fix this to be consistent for the next release.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Gary5 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Hello, I found this survey while searching Ad Muncher site for the key combination to open the toolbar.

My feedback is there's no way I'll remember ctrl+ rightclick next time I need it. So I'll put a reminder in my notes and hope I'll remember that. A note in the Ad Muncher Tools tab would be better.

Thanks.
Gary5
New User

Postby crenshaw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:26 pm

[quote="Rodalpho"]I really hated the previous beta, where the toolbar would appear with every popup blocked. Now that the option to stop the toolbar appearing works, I have no problem with it.[/quote]

I agree, but I would like to suggest that the Ctrl+right click shortcut still be active (optional?) even when the toolbar is set not to appear on blocked popup in the options so that we still have access to the options when we want them. Thanks!
crenshaw

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:30 pm

That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Next

Return to Development Status