Configuration storage survey

Ad Muncher status updates will be posted here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Would you use an option to "Store configuration files in Ad Muncher's program directory"?

Yes (please let us know why)
33%
No
68%

Total votes : 80

Postby HawkInOz » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:52 pm

Vista compatibility is key. Options for storing info in multiple locations just makes it more difficult to support and upgrade in the future. KISS principle applies. Thanks!
HawkInOz

no but!!!

Postby XtremeMaC » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:55 pm

I format my computer often and having to backup every answer file of each program just sucks!

so i'd really appriciate if we could point admucher to a folder of our choice.
for example I've a settings folder on another partition and i don't format it. most importantly I've opera settings in there and many other programs that allow me this change.

I'd also add a third option to the poll as "User Defined Folder"

Thanks
XtremeMaC

Postby dc3dreamer » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Murray --

I hope you haven't done this yet... I've been through this wringer already and have some info:
  • The path/names of the special folders are different depending on the language of the OS. So you must use the APIs for getting the special folders by symbolic name and not use literal strings for the paths. The symbolic names are different in different languages (C# vs C++ vs Windows Script/WSH) as are the APIs for getting the actual path/name strings.
  • You might use the "local application data" special folder for per-user settings mode. But there is no equivalent for the "All Users" folder tree... so now what? I'd punt and use <user>\Application Data and AllUsers\Application Data, again using the API and symbolic names to get the localized path/name strings.

I hope this helps. Vista has broken so much software and forced us to go back on what MS told us we should be doing for years.
dc3dreamer
New User

Postby XtremeMaC » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:57 pm

well another way of getting the user path is from the registry.

per user:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

per machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

:) just a reg query should be fine..
XtremeMaC

No

Postby duke492 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:28 pm

No. I don't know. I don't know what any of these options mean. It is a miracle I ever get anything installed. After reading this thread, of course, it would not cause me any problems if some others need the option.
duke492
New User

Postby XtremeMaC » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:38 pm

well then ad muncher is newbie proof :P (don't get me wrong, just saying its so easy to use..)
XtremeMaC

Postby Shamurai » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:03 pm

dc3dreamer wrote:
    [li]
  • You might use the "local application data" special folder for per-user settings mode. But there is no equivalent for the "All Users" folder tree... so now what? I'd punt and use <user>\Application Data and AllUsers\Application Data, again using the API and symbolic names to get the localized path/name strings.

Actually, in vista, the all users folder is now the DEFAULT folder.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:08 pm

As much as I prefer to keep everything in the program directory (gotta love Mac) if Vista needs the user directory to work best then the option for the user to install it with Vista preference is surely the best. I'm using Vista and it's no great shakes, if something helps it then great.

Thanks for asking us!
Gary
New User

Postby loquat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:17 pm

I like to have options.

Currently Ad Muncher stores settings and data in its install folder. I quite like that. Backing up quick and easy. starting it up again after a fresh install is even easier. Double click on Ad Muncher and it works with all my settings intact.

Having the config and data files in the install folder, is definately better suited for a home/single user environment.

I have Ad Muncher installed in drive D (as I do many other standalone utilities that don't require installations or registry settings) so if and when I do a fresh install of XP, I run a simple script that sets up all my utilities that way I like them.

In a work/multi-user environment it may make more sense to have different config files based on user prefs. depending on what the Administrator or work policies allow or not.

Basically, giving the user a choice when installing would be the ideal solution.
loquat
Addict

Postby Anthony » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:23 pm

I still have WinXP on all my computers, because I don't think the new Windows is ready for use yet, frankly.

I'm not sure what is meant by C:\users. On my computers it's C:\Documents and Settings\ and then folders for all users or individual users. Is that what is meant?

I'm a neatness freak. There are something like 200k files on this computer, but I still like to keep duplicates to a minimum, so the current placement in program files makes sense to me.

But I don't feel strongly enough about it that I wouldn't trust Murray to do the sensible thing. So go ahead and do what you think best!
Anthony
New User

Postby prazim » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:21 pm

no.

I just need a screen to alert me as to their new location for back up purposes.
Thanks!
Sue
prazim
New User

Re: Configuration storage survey

Postby heathbug » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:43 am

Murray wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm busy working on getting Ad Muncher fully Vista compatible and I have one quick question to ask you all.

Currently Ad Muncher stores its configuration files (config.dat, customstrings.dat, amafstrings.dat) in its program files folder. To help with Vista compatibility we will be moving these to an appropriate "app data" folder for either the current user or all users, depending on how Ad Muncher is configured, and which configuration file it is.

So in short, Ad Muncher's configuration files would be moved from:

C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher

To something like:

C:\Users\[Account name]\AppData\Local\Ad Muncher

or

C:\Users\All Users\Ad Muncher

This would provide benefits for users under all versions of Windows (not just Vista), and really is where they should have been stored from the start.

My question is whether anyone would want an option to have Ad Muncher continue to store their configuration in the program files folder. This option wouldn't work under a normal Vista install, I don't *think* anyone would find it too useful, and it would be an added option people would have to think about when installing. So if nobody has a need for it I'll just have the installer move the config files to their new locations and be done with it.

Also note that if you need to have the configuration files stored in some other place, there will be a file in Ad Muncher's program folder that can be edited to change the locations.

If you aren't sure what any of the above means, please answer "no" to the poll question.

Thanks for taking part :-)

Yours sincerely,

Murray Hurps

I'm sorry, I must be stupid. How do you vote? I don't see where to click or to otherwise indicate my vote. (Which is No)
NOTICE: By the time you have noticed this notice, you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing.

Dave Evans
heathbug
New User

Re: Configuration storage survey

Postby heathbug » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:46 am

Murray wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm busy working on getting Ad Muncher fully Vista compatible and I have one quick question to ask you all.

Currently Ad Muncher stores its configuration files (config.dat, customstrings.dat, amafstrings.dat) in its program files folder. To help with Vista compatibility we will be moving these to an appropriate "app data" folder for either the current user or all users, depending on how Ad Muncher is configured, and which configuration file it is.

So in short, Ad Muncher's configuration files would be moved from:

C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher

To something like:

C:\Users\[Account name]\AppData\Local\Ad Muncher

or

C:\Users\All Users\Ad Muncher

This would provide benefits for users under all versions of Windows (not just Vista), and really is where they should have been stored from the start.

My question is whether anyone would want an option to have Ad Muncher continue to store their configuration in the program files folder. This option wouldn't work under a normal Vista install, I don't *think* anyone would find it too useful, and it would be an added option people would have to think about when installing. So if nobody has a need for it I'll just have the installer move the config files to their new locations and be done with it.

Also note that if you need to have the configuration files stored in some other place, there will be a file in Ad Muncher's program folder that can be edited to change the locations.

If you aren't sure what any of the above means, please answer "no" to the poll question.

Thanks for taking part :-)

Yours sincerely,

Murray Hurps

Sorry. When I submitted the previous post, the place to indicate my vote appeared. Therefore, please ignore the previous post from me.
NOTICE: By the time you have noticed this notice, you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing.

Dave Evans
heathbug
New User

Postby [deXter] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:40 am

I voted for "Yes".

Firstly, because there's no harm in including that option. Almost all multi-user/Vista-ready programs I use (Eg: Opera) have such an option in the installer, and they all work fine.

Second, because I carry AM on my flash drive. Having the app and all its configuration files in a single folder makes it easily portable, as AM already is. I access the internet from many different PCs (college, cafés, etc) and AM is a perfect companion to all my other portable apps. None of those PCs have admin rights, so I use apps that don't need admin rights and don't need to be installed.
Ad Muncher - best companions:

Opera - Fastest Browser
Onspeed - Fastest Web Accelerator
cFosSpeed - Best Traffic Shaper
[deXter]
Addict

Postby F_L » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:42 am

[deXter] wrote:I voted for "Yes".

Firstly, because there's no harm in including that option. Almost all multi-user/Vista-ready programs I use (Eg: Opera) have such an option in the installer, and they all work fine.

Second, because I carry AM on my flash drive. Having the app and all its configuration files in a single folder makes it easily portable, as AM already is. I access the internet from many different PCs (college, cafés, etc) and AM is a perfect companion to all my other portable apps. None of those PCs have admin rights, so I use apps that don't need admin rights and don't need to be installed.

+1
I create AutoRun in U3 flash drive, and it's working perfectly.
F_L

PreviousNext

Return to Development Status