Ad Muncher v4.73 Beta Available

Ad Muncher status updates will be posted here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Re: Ad Muncher v4.73 Beta Available

Postby crenshaw » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:27 am

English.
crenshaw

Postby Murray » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:51 am

Thanks, I'll see what I can do and will post here when I have more to post.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Murray » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:16 am

crenshaw: I've not been able to reproduce the problem here with IE 8 RC 1 under Vista 64.

Could you please let me know specifically where you right-click and on which URL. Also could you let me know which exact version of Ad Muncher you are currently using? And finally, are there any other extensions present in the right-click menu other than Ad Muncher's? If so which?

Thanks again.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby crenshaw » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 am

IE8 Beta through RC1, WinXP 32bit. I'm using the current 4.73 Beta of Admuncher (though the problem existed with 4.72 final as well). And as I said, it's not on a URL it's on the blank space in ANY page. There are no other extensions on the menu.

Screenshot using this exact page: http://stashbox.org/420266/screeny.jpg

As you can see I simply right-clicked on the page itself, not on a specific image or link.

Edit: Damn, just noticed Excel is in there.. no idea how it got there (it's not in my addons list), how to remove it or if that'll fix the issue. If it's pertinent, I'm using Office 2007.

Edit2: I removed the Excel item from the menu using the steps outlined here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277621 and the issue still persists. Note that though the article is for Office 2002, my menu item worked and pointed to Office 2007. Can you tell me the contents of the keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\ on a working installation? If there's something extra that makes them nest I can probably just readd it myself.
crenshaw

Postby emmi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:56 pm

When will 4.73 be released?
emmi
New User

Postby crenshaw » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

When it's ready.
crenshaw

What about HTTP 1.1

Postby Inray » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:34 am

@Murray: Could you please comment on the HTTP 1.1 issue?
As an old AdMuncher customer, I remember you years ago, saying you had plans to implement it; any advance so far? I really don't want to rush you Murray, but this serious limitation is the only thing keeping me away from using AdMuncher any more. I'd appreciate any comments on this issue.

Thanks
Inray

Postby Jeff » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:55 am

@Inray

how is it specifically affecting you?
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Inray » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:17 am

Very noticable browsing performance loss due to lack of compression, persistent connections and pipelining.
Inray

Postby Jeff » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:46 am

Browsing with Ad Muncher is faster than browsing without it.

ads take up a far larger percentage of page load time than compression.

I have zero performance problems on any pages and the same should be for you as well. ;)
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby crenshaw » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:32 am

I uninstalled Ad Muncher (including settings) and the entries go away. I do a clean install and they're back, no submenu, just as before. Am I being ignored?
crenshaw

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:04 am

@crenshaw

Of course not. When we have more information or need something from you we'll let you know. :)
---
---
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby bse » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:54 pm

[quote="Jeff"]Browsing with Ad Muncher is faster than browsing without it.

ads take up a far larger percentage of page load time than compression.

I have zero performance problems on any pages and the same should be for you as well. ;)[/quote]i'm not usually one to bitch at ad muncher, but what inray is saying is valid.
jeff, you are right when you are talking about 28k intarwebz, but inray is absolutely right when it's about a few mbits+.
the time required to rebuild connections over and over again exceeds the little overhead of loading some small ads from a different server.

though even given the point that i am on a 20mbit line i still use ad muncher, not for speed gains (without http/1.1 it's a loss), but because ads just disturb me.
gzip support wouldn't really matter at all on my line, but persistent connections definitely would.
bse

Postby Murray » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 pm

crenshaw: Lol, I spent a while trying to reproduce it and couldn't, but when I clicked on your screenshot and right-clicked the blank space around it voila it happened here. Working on it now, and will have a fix in for the next beta (anything over build 30605). Thanks very much.

emmi: We are still working on new features and fixes for v4.73, is there a particular reason you need the final version instead of the betas?

Inray/bse: I'm very sorry that HTTP 1.1 support has taken as long as it has. It will be supported in the new filtering engine, which we are currently working on. We have finished work on a completely new configuration interface to go with the new engine, which currently includes support for:

- More advanced filter categories.
- Per-site filter restrictions.
- Per-site filter option restrictions.
- Regex keywords, including a completed filter scanning engine so large numbers of regex filters can be scanned quickly.
- Filter grouping, with per-site options for groups.
- The ability to define your own filtering options, so you can add your own options to those currently seen under the "Options" / "Filtering" tab, and we can add new ones or make changes via the server-supplied filter list.
- A much improved interface layout, simpler and more logical than the current one.
- Complete unicode support across the interface, including in the filter keywords.
- Full support for translating the interface into other languages, the user just has to modify a simple UTF-8 text file.

We are currently getting stuck into the filtering engine code, but of course it's not a simple thing to implement. I'd love to be able to say "It will be done on this date" but with our limited resources any issues that crop up can delay development (Vista and Windows 7 support, for example). We're working as quickly as we can, and will have this available as soon our resources can allow.

And trust me there's nobody that wants this out more urgently than myself :-)
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Murray » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:55 am

crenshaw: after spending three hours trying to find a workaround for the IE8 menu problem I've concluded that it won't be possible to fix without significantly redesigning the menu modification system.

I've added it to my todo list, but for the moment putting up with the slightly different arrangement of the menu items hopefully won't cause too many problems, and we can go back to addressing more pressing needs first.

Sorry for the trouble.
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Status