Status update - October 12th, 2005

Ad Muncher status updates will be posted here.

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Status update - October 12th, 2005

Postby Murray » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:15 am

Hi everyone,

We're done working on new features for v4.7 and would now just like to track down any significant bugs before releasing it publicly.

Gzip support has unfortunately been held back for v4.8 due to the amount of time it was taking to rewrite the relevant supporting code. We really need to get a public release out, and v4.7 as it is currently is a great improvement over the currently-public v4.6.

The current beta is v4.7 Build 19331 and is available from:

http://www.admuncher.com/beta.pl?build= ... y=41619043

This build includes a brand new update system, which now supports:

- Previewing of updates before downloading.

- SOCKS 5 proxy support.

- Proxy authentication (basic and digest methods).

- Updates for all users, with registered users getting the latest releases a little sooner than trial users do.

- More informative download progress dialogs.

- The option to load development versions (betas) by simply enabling a checkbox on the update tab.

For those who have not seen a v4.7 beta yet, the current beta also includes:

- A brand new default filter list, immensely better than the ones distributed with v4.6 and now being updated on a daily basis by Jeff.

- Browser integration into Internet Explorer, Opera and Firefox (as well as Navigator, Mozilla and all browsers based on IE). This integration allows you to quickly remove, exclude or report pages and adverts by simply right-clicking on them.

- Automatic cache clearing for Internet Explorer. This only affects Internet Explorer because the other browsers, having more configurable caching mechanisms, shouldn't need forced cleaning.

- Two new filter categories that allow you to insert javascript or CSS into web pages.

- A new packaging system for the patching DLL, which should reduce memory usage significantly in all patched programs.

- Plus a load of bug fixes and other minor improvements.

A full list of changes is available from:

http://www.admuncher.com/betachangelog.txt

Testing tips:

- In Internet Explorer, if the browser extensions are working correctly, then whenever Ad Muncher is running the right-click menu should look something like this:

http://www.admuncher.com/be-menu.gif

Could you please check that the Ad Muncher menu extensions in Internet Explorer are nested in a sub-menu as they are in the above image? If they aren't please let me know.

- If anyone uses a proxy in the network environment I would enormously appreciate a quick check to see if the proxy options on the update tab are working, especially the authentication. Remember to click "Apply" after making any changes before testing.

- When further betas are released, please check that their download and installation proceeds as expected.

- If you get a chance please try both of the options on the "Contact" tab (the "Live chat.." and "Email..." tabs), as both of these now make use of components from the new update system as well.

- Feel free to try out the new IP Scramble test lists, the larger of which now has almost 800 entries.

- Feedback on interface changes is also appreciated, including the update system and browser extensions. If there is anything that is confusing or not intuitive please let me know.

Thank you very much for your help. All feedback on the new version (including simple "all-okay" emails) is enormously appreciated, and should be directed to [email protected]

Yours sincerely,

Murray Hurps
Murray
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby kalpik » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:54 am

The internet explorer context menu is just fine! Avaiting v4.7 final! Also avaiting gzip support!
kalpik
New User

Postby Shamurai » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:14 pm

war59312 wrote:Hey,

Wondering if you could add the change log to the new update system. That is when a new build is released that you have the option to also download or view the change log as well right from Ad Muncher. :)

Perhaps have it so that you right click on the new build, when there is one, and choose View or Download Change log. View would be best I think. Just open in default browser. ;)

Thanks,
Will

Shamurai wrote:I think simply modifying the interface to allow for a tree style interface where the user clicks a PLUS sign to expand the listing for the update, that tells you what changes have been made underneath the listing. That would be awesome and require far less modification I am sure! Count me in!
This posting is provided "AS IS" with warranties of every kind, and confers all rights.
Shamurai
Master

Postby JensusUT » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:31 pm

Murray, thanks for these Versions... Great improvement! The 4.7 Final is comming in big steps :)

Best regards,

Jensus
JensusUT
Addict

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Can anyone get ad muncher to work with firefox 1.5 beta 2? It doesn't seem to load at all after installation for me, even on a clean firefox install.

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:42 am

Anonymous wrote:Can anyone get ad muncher to work with firefox 1.5 beta 2? It doesn't seem to load at all after installation for me, even on a clean firefox install.

Works for me. Though what doesn't load at all? Firefox won't load, or Admuncher?
Cytoplasm

Postby Knogle » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:07 am

Testing tips:

- In Internet Explorer, if the browser extensions are working correctly, then whenever Ad Muncher is running the right-click menu should look something like this:

Could you please check that the Ad Muncher menu extensions in Internet Explorer are nested in a sub-menu as they are in the above image? If they aren't please let me know.
Don't use IE, so I wouldn't know. Apologies.

- If anyone uses a proxy in the network environment I would enormously appreciate a quick check to see if the proxy options on the update tab are working, especially the authentication. Remember to click "Apply" after making any changes before testing.
I work in such an environment, and the AdMuncher udpate system works perfectly. i couldn't be more pleased with it. I never used to be able to download updates at work, but now I do. The authentication mechanism works flawlessly too.
- When further betas are released, please check that their download and installation proceeds as expected.
They've all been going fine to date.

- If you get a chance please try both of the options on the "Contact" tab (the "Live chat.." and "Email..." tabs), as both of these now make use of components from the new update system as well.
Works fine. In fact, connecting to the chat room seems faster now.

- Feel free to try out the new IP Scramble test lists, the larger of which now has almost 800 entries.
Works brilliantly.

- Feedback on interface changes is also appreciated, including the update system and browser extensions. If there is anything that is confusing or not intuitive please let me know.
I like the new changes to the interface, particularly the updates section.

Most of the work seems to have been behind the scenes, mainly in terms of code optimisation. While that's fine and dandy (excellent in fact), it'd be nice to have some major feature additions that will dramatically impact our browsing experience.

This current version is good-to-go as a minor version release though.
Knogle
Wiz

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:08 am

Cytoplasm wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Can anyone get ad muncher to work with firefox 1.5 beta 2? It doesn't seem to load at all after installation for me, even on a clean firefox install.

Works for me. Though what doesn't load at all? Firefox won't load, or Admuncher?

It's firefox which won't load but now I don't think it's ad muncher related. Something else must be causing a conflict but I can't work out what.

Thanks for your help though, i'll try the firefox forums.

Postby Jeff » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:15 pm

Disable/remove any extensions for firefox you may have installed one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby thollian » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:19 am

great work, no real problems I have found, but will keep my eye out.

keep up the great work!
-thollian
thollian

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:19 pm

Jeff wrote:Disable/remove any extensions for firefox you may have installed one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

Thanks, i've got it sorted out now. It was because I had some files left in my firefox directory which were left behind from the uninstall from a unofficial firefox build...in case you're interested!

Should have known better than to suspect ad muncher!

Keep up the good work.

Postby war59312 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:38 am

Hey,

Well no problems with the latest beta. Live chat works great as always.

I tried browser extensions with IE 6, Fire Fox Deer Park Alpha 2, and Opera 8.5 and no problems at all.

I use them all daily. :)

Though, I was wondering one thing. For the Fire Fox browser extension, perhaps you could check to see if the extension is installed
and display it as installed on the Extensions tab. I have no idea how FF extensions work in this way. Just wondering.

And yes, Ad Muncher IE 6 context menu displays correctly.

IP Scramble also works great, as always.

And yes, I love the new update system, though it would be nice if you could view the change log within the update system in ad muncher itself for each new build. Perhaps a simple right click context menu entry such as, View Change Log , that then downloads the text file and opens in your default text editor. Would just make it that much easier. And yes, make it only for registered users. :p

Also, no issue when using proxy. I generally use Tor combined with Privoxy. Works great.

Also, if you do not know yet, sure you do.

Ad Muncher works great with Windows Vista Beta 1 and later builds. :)

Though, I have yet to test the browser extension for IE 7 in Vista. I will next time I boot Vista up. ;)

Take Care,
Will
Statistics for Ad Muncher v4.94.34121/6855 (Free)
Adverts removed: 6,685,622
Bandwidth saved: 196,824 MB
Counter started: April 2, 2003

6,685,421 items blocked - 196.8 GB saved - 3.2 weeks saved - 3,075,293 trackers blocked - 15,443,322 cookies blocked
war59312
Wiz

Re: Status update - October 12th, 2005

Postby Brig » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:44 pm

Murray wrote:- In Internet Explorer, if the browser extensions are working correctly, then whenever Ad Muncher is running the right-click menu should look something like this:

They aren't--they are in their own section between "Refresh" and "Properties" in the primary right-click menu.

Other than that, the beta is working beautifully.

Many thanks,
Brig
Brig
New User

Postby Jeff » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:57 pm

@brig

You need to upgrade to the latest beta.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby Brig » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:18 pm

I think I have the latest:

Ad Muncher v4.7 Build 19331/1229 *BETA*

Is there a newer one? I just checked via the Options | Updates tab for new stuff (beta box checked) and the only new thing was an advert list, which I loaded.

[Windows 2000, SP4; Maxthon Browser]
Brig
New User

Next

Return to Development Status