On the effectiveness of Ad Muncher

Light-hearted chat and discussion

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

On the effectiveness of Ad Muncher

Postby andrewb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Hello all!
The program works for me almost 1 month. (the last 15 days-Premium Adverts List). I see such data at bloccking and save traffic. Say, for a month's work-this is the normal data or these figures should be more? I understand that depends on many factors... :wink: But all the same, on average? What values from other users, on average?
Attachments
2013-03-29 20_43_23-Ad Muncher • User Control Panel • Login.jpg
2013-03-29 20_43_23-Ad Muncher • User Control Panel • Login.jpg (13.16 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
andrewb

Re: On the effectiveness of Ad Muncher

Postby Jeff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 pm

We have never collected this information from the users so no one knows the average.

it depends on where and how much you surf.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Postby finch » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Jeff wrote:We have never collected this information from the users so no one knows the average.

It's great to hear this. With all the tracking and such things it's nice to know that Ad Muncher is my friend.
finch
New User

Postby max » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:12 am

finch wrote:
Jeff wrote:We have never collected this information from the users so no one knows the average.

It's great to hear this. With all the tracking and such things it's nice to know that Ad Muncher is my friend.

Agreed.
max
Wiz

Postby war59312 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Personally I would NOT have an issue with this information collected, if it was done RIGHT.

As in 100% anonymous and ON by default.

Yes ON by default, but the first time a build gets installed that supports it a nice little option during the installer allows you to turn OFF "Anonymous Usage Statistics".

If the user leaves it on (simply clicks next) a second window pops up making sure the user understands what "Anonymous Usage Statistics" means. Includes a "privacy statement" that the user MUST first agree to IF the user wishes to enable "Anonymous Usage Statistics".

And of course you MUST be able to turn off "Anonymous Usage Statistics" in settings.

Why? Well, "Anonymous Usage Statistics" can lead to some pretty cool things. Like knowing how you rank among the AdMuncher community.

Gives Murray a better idea of how Admuncher is being used and can lead to better performance. For example, part of "Anonymous Usage Statistics" could be timing information like on how long does Admuncher take to filter pages on average and if it is "slow" on certain sites. Or perhaps how much of a "performance hit" Admuncher is causing on the OS.

I'd love to see graphics of how many sites the Admuncher community as a whole is filtering daily, weekly, monthly, etc. That would greatly reveal just how effective AdMuncher is.

"Anonymous Usage Statistics" can be a really good thing if done correctly. Again, the user MUST be notified first for privacy reasons and the user MUST be able to easily turn it off.
Statistics for Ad Muncher v4.94.34121/6855 (Free)
Adverts removed: 6,685,622
Bandwidth saved: 196,824 MB
Counter started: April 2, 2003

6,685,421 items blocked - 196.8 GB saved - 3.2 weeks saved - 3,075,293 trackers blocked - 15,443,322 cookies blocked
war59312
Wiz

Postby broman.martin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:25 am

I agree with war59312 on that!
broman.martin
Wiz

Postby max » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:53 am

war59312 wrote:Personally I would NOT have an issue with this information collected, if it was done RIGHT.

As in 100% anonymous and ON by default.

Yes ON by default, but the first time a build gets installed that supports it a nice little option during the installer allows you to turn OFF "Anonymous Usage Statistics".

If the user leaves it on (simply clicks next) a second window pops up making sure the user understands what "Anonymous Usage Statistics" means. Includes a "privacy statement" that the user MUST first agree to IF the user wishes to enable "Anonymous Usage Statistics".

And of course you MUST be able to turn off "Anonymous Usage Statistics" in settings.

Why? Well, "Anonymous Usage Statistics" can lead to some pretty cool things. Like knowing how you rank among the AdMuncher community.

Gives Murray a better idea of how Admuncher is being used and can lead to better performance. For example, part of "Anonymous Usage Statistics" could be timing information like on how long does Admuncher take to filter pages on average and if it is "slow" on certain sites. Or perhaps how much of a "performance hit" Admuncher is causing on the OS.

I'd love to see graphics of how many sites the Admuncher community as a whole is filtering daily, weekly, monthly, etc. That would greatly reveal just how effective AdMuncher is.

"Anonymous Usage Statistics" can be a really good thing if done correctly. Again, the user MUST be notified first for privacy reasons and the user MUST be able to easily turn it off.

Good idea but couldn't this backfire too by certain websites seeing this info and requesting to stop blocking the ads ? That or much worst have them constantly change their ad layout so Ad Muncher has to be super fast to fix it.
max
Wiz

Postby Venky » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I don't think I would be comfortable sharing usage statics anonymous or otherwise,its not what I payed and signed-up for.Ghostery's parent company Evidon makes money by selling these so called "Statistics" I am not saying that Messrs Murray Hurps Software Pty Ltd would do that but it still makes me uncomfortable.There are various ways you can perform tests to determine the page load times and impact on PC performance using numerous Automation softwares and alpha/beta testers.
And even if it was implemented I don't think that they will posts graphs about filtering statics of Ad Muncher community
But to reiterate my original point I for one am totally against it.
Venky
Addict

Postby war59312 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 pm

max wrote:Good idea but couldn't this backfire too by certain websites seeing this info and requesting to stop blocking the ads ? That or much worst have them constantly change their ad layout so Ad Muncher has to be super fast to fix it.

Not sure what information could make that easier for those sites to do such a thing. After all it would just be totally Anonymous. Those sites can already request their sites ads from being blocked after all.

And many sites are indeed already changing their layouts so often in an attempt to stop their ads from being blocked. Hence how Jeff has a day job. ;)

Venky wrote:I don't think I would be comfortable sharing usage statics anonymous or otherwise,its not what I payed and signed-up for.Ghostery's parent company Evidon makes money by selling these so called "Statistics" I am not saying that Messrs Murray Hurps Software Pty Ltd would do that but it still makes me uncomfortable.There are various ways you can perform tests to determine the page load times and impact on PC performance using numerous Automation softwares and alpha/beta testers.
And even if it was implemented I don't think that they will posts graphs about filtering statics of Ad Muncher community
But to reiterate my original point I for one am totally against it.

Well Ghostery DOES allow the user to easily turn off "Anonymous Usage Statistics". And if this were implemented you could EASILY turn it off too.

I do however agree with your point about selling "Anonymous Usage Statistics". Indeed that would have to be a "NO NO" for me to allow them as well. Hence, why I have them disabled in Ghostery.
Statistics for Ad Muncher v4.94.34121/6855 (Free)
Adverts removed: 6,685,622
Bandwidth saved: 196,824 MB
Counter started: April 2, 2003

6,685,421 items blocked - 196.8 GB saved - 3.2 weeks saved - 3,075,293 trackers blocked - 15,443,322 cookies blocked
war59312
Wiz

Return to The Lounge