Linux support, or work around

Light-hearted chat and discussion

Moderators: Murray, Jeff

Linux support, or work around

Postby broman.martin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:13 pm

I have recently switched from windows to a linux based OS and want to know if work on linux is something for the future, or something you are working on at the moment?

Also, in adition I would like to know if I can install my ad-muncher on a windows computer and have all my BROWSER based internet filtered through the windows maching WITH ad muncher so that I get the full OR semi advantage of ad-muncher on my linux based computer?

Currently I am using adblock edge, and even on the first day of using it I could feel how terrible it is :( there just is no software that even can come close to what ad muncher gives us.
With that in regard I will most probably switch back to windows, only so I can use ad muncher for my internet. Second best option would be to have my micro laptop run ad muncher and filter my linux computers webbrowsers internet.

I love ad muncher! And I will even use a crapy OS as windows just so I can get the benifits of ad muncher! Only time can tell :mrgreen: Please make me the happiest user of internet ;D Linux + ad muncher and I would hit nirvana!! Leave me with windows and ad muncher, and I'll just reach perfection.
broman.martin
Wiz

Re: Linux support, or work around

Postby Jeff » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:30 pm

The main reason for the 5.x rewrite was to do away with all the Windows specific code that Ad Muncher was based on.

once it's finished it will be a fairly simple matter to port to other operating systems.

And yes you can install a proxy and have Ad Muncher filter that proxy and have your linux machine connect to that proxy.
That's not an ad blocker... THIS is an ad blocker.
---
No bovines were harmed in the making of this program.
---
My first popup stopper blocked too much.
My second popup stopper didn't block enough.
Ad Muncher was juuuuust right.
Jeff
Ad Muncher Developer

Re: Linux support, or work around

Postby broman.martin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Jeff wrote:The main reason for the 5.x rewrite was to do away with all the Windows specific code that Ad Muncher was based on.

once it's finished it will be a fairly simple matter to port to other operating systems.

And yes you can install a proxy and have Ad Muncher filter that proxy and have your linux machine connect to that proxy.

Oh, sweet heaven! :D Then I've got something fun to tinker with today!! 1. Learn about proxies, 2. find a good/free one for windows Gonna be fun! :lol:
broman.martin
Wiz

Return to The Lounge